Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arabs attempt to murder Danish cartoonists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious
    Oh God No! Unless you can make them funny, and not just obvious racist crap.
    If we don't, then the terrorists have won
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

If we don't, then the terrorists have won
      You got me there.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Oh God No! Unless you can make them funny, and not just obvious racist crap.
        Muslim is not a race. And as far as I know, the pictures weren't supposed to be funny.
        to the papers.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Classic Kid, just classic.

Pray tell how a cartoonist satirziing truth about the Islamist movement is exploitation?
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

suspected of planning to attack

The Danish citizen will be released pending further investigation, while the Tunisians will be held until they are expelled from the country.

No trial?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              suspected of planning to attack

The Danish citizen will be released pending further investigation, while the Tunisians will be held until they are expelled from the country.

No trial?
              That's a matter of heated debate here at the moment. I think the suggested approach of the police is a sound one (and since 2002, perfectly valid in a legal sense) since a prolonged trial scenario would carry no benefits to anyone. Certainly not the cartoonists, many of whom are already living under police protection - and probably will be for the rest of their lives. The less attention called to their personal predicament, the better. In my opinion, that is. I've seen polls indicating that nearly everyone else wants these bastards to face the courts. I suppose it's still up in the air for now.

The two Tunisians will be presented before a judge tomorrow for the determination of whether their detainment is to continue. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't already been deported. I'm less surprised by the combined political left protesting their deportation "out of concern for basic civil rights". Get a grip, you morons, and read the law why don't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Classic Kid, just classic.

Pray tell how a cartoonist satirziing truth about the Islamist movement is exploitation?
                Not what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                  Muslim is not a race.
                  Really? No ****. They are still racists.
                  And as far as I know, the pictures weren't supposed to be funny.
                  to the papers.
                  So just racist, or bigoted? Whatever.

Comment

kid, surely even you can't fail to see that the significance of these cartoons goes far beyond their artistic merits.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                      kid, surely even you can't fail to see that the significance of these cartoons goes far beyond their artistic merits.
                      I don't think they are significant or artistic. I think the creators are stupid racists without any talent.

Comment

Indeed, some of those cartoons seem to have no meaning at all except to make muslims look different and dumb.

Comment

I think both sides are wrong. Its in bad taste to publish the cartoons. And killing people because of them is a huge overreaction.

Im not saying it should be illegal to publish the cartoons (there is a difference between illegal and bad taste) but I wouldn't do it. I might also cancel my subscription to the paper that carried them.

If you don't think public newspapers have a responsibility to avoid bad taste consider your reaction to a paper that posted any of the following comics:

1. A picture of a middle eastern god laughing at the remains of the world trade center with the caption "2,750 dead is a good start".

2. A picture of a tractor and a black man with the caption "If gas prices continue to rise we may need to go back to older forms of farm machinery".

3. Any advertisement for Old Navy.

Sorry about the offensive nature of the comics, I don't use them to be crude but to highlight my point. If you would be offended by them, if you would go so far as to boycott a company that continually used them (and I think most of us would) then you would have to agree that the company has shown bad taste and is in the wrong.

Now what exactly the punishment for that bad taste is would certainly be less than killing the artists. Which is why I said both sides are at fault.

If you see a difference between my incrediably crude examples and the mohammad cartoons realize that different cultures are offended by different things. My personal definition of offensive isn't global and I respect others rights to be be offended about different subjects than I am. That doesn't mean that any individual person being offended means much (Id guess every comic has offended someone at some point) but when you offend millions, and when you know before you post it that it will offend millions, and in fat that your looking to offend millions, you are probably way out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Murg
                            And killing people because of them is a huge overreaction.

(...)

Now what exactly the punishment for that bad taste is would certainly be less than killing the artists. Which is why I said both sides are at fault.
                            Yeah, killing would be a bit much. Maybe they could just be publicly beaten, incl. their family members.
                            Blah

Comment

the issue though is surely one of free speech. if i draw a cartoon satirizing a particular religious or political group, then i may run the risk of offending people, of drawing criticism, ridicule even, name calling and all the rest of it. this is only right and proper as i am using my right to free speech and my critics are using theirs. however, no writer or illustrator should be put in fear of their life and threatened with violence, for drawing a cartoon or writing an article.

in addition i feel it is wrong for us in the west to engage in self-censorship, to appease religious zealots in other countries, and increasingly, in our own.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's memist! Discrimination against memes!

Comment

Working...
                                X