No announcement yet.

Bill Mahr's crusade against modern medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last part of that actually makes him sound sane, although he used some shock jock statements before that.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well, from that clip you can tell that he's not into vaccines or homeopathy.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
        I think that's why I found it so scary. It's easy to dismiss rampant couch-jumpers as silly loons. Comedic talk show hosts who go out of their way to bring up such a topic and discuss it with such seriousness are scary.
        All he was doing was entertaining. Now in context it doesn't look loony at all, just entertaining.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Maher has gone off the deep end on this, almost like Michael Moore has become his Svengali.

I understand and even agree with his main points -- that over-reliance on prescription meds can lead to complications through drug interactions and such, and that the pharma companies are given way too much latitude in promoting new medications (ask your doctor!) that have hefty lists of side effects and a very short history. And I think all Americans are well aware that the high stakes and substantial lobbying power of the medical/pharma/insurance industries are the major barriers to a national health care system.

But the whole "modern medical science = evil cabal" thing has some shock power, he needs to be careful about how deep he gets into this. It's one thing to point out the silliness of marketing hype. But when a big part of your Bush-era rap has been about protecting peer-reviewed science from the evil creationists, it seems odd to jump down so hard against medical science.

Have another toke, Bill.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

All he was doing was entertaining. Now in context it doesn't look loony at all, just entertaining.
            I saw his Letterman appearance as well as this week's rant on Real Time. He seems pretty serious about it, like it's a personal crusade.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

He's a nutter. Nuff said.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                And I think all Americans are well aware that the high stakes and substantial lobbying power of the medical/pharma/insurance industries are the major barriers to a national health care system.
                I am not aware of this. There's broad opposition to national health care.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm not debating whether we should have it, nor do I deny there's opposition to it, DanS. That would be off topic. I'm just stating that these are major barriers to it ever happening. Try to keep up.
                  Last edited by -Jrabbit; February 12, 2008, 19:29.

Comment

Working...
                  X