Assessment of Nietzsche by Russell and Heidegger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessment of Nietzsche by Russell and Heidegger

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

I'd just like to use this occasion to link to this wickedly wonderful little lexicon of philosophical terms:

heidegger, n. A ponderous device for boring through thick layers of substance. "It's buried so deep we'll have to use a heidegger."

Comment

Icy cod!
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

aneeshm

I don't get why (in the lexicon) Walter Kaufmann is identified as an 'existential quintifier'. Can anybody enlighten me?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
          aneeshm

I don't get why (in the lexicon) Walter Kaufmann is identified as an 'existential quintifier'. Can anybody enlighten me?
          To quintify means to give a popular and oversimplifying account of a philosophical problem. So an existential quintifier would be someone who gives a popular and oversimplifying account of existential problems in general, or Nietzsche's philosophy in particular. In other words, Kaufman = a dumbed down Nietzsche.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Russell underestimates and Heidegger wildly overestimates Nietzsche's importance, IMHO. I wouldn't put much stock on what Russell or what other old school analytical philosophers has to say about classic philosophers. History of philosophy is not their thing and they're generally pretty bad at it.
            Last edited by Nostromo; February 13, 2008, 23:00.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

So an existential quintifier would be someone who gives a popular and oversimplifying account of existential problems
              Oh, I see. "Existential" as in "existentialism" (as opposed to, in Fregean terms, a second level function from concepts to truth values).

Is that the current view of Kaufmann's work? It's been over 40 years since I read Kaufmann and Nietzsche and I barely remember anything about it.

Comment

I prefer Halbstein-Hirnenbach's neorealist position

Comment

History of philosophy is not they're thing and they're generally pretty bad at it.

Russel wrote "History of Western Thought".

I think that a philosopher and a historian of philosophy is one and the same thing. There are many people with their own theories around, but only those who bothered to read and reference previous philosophers are the ones who are going to be read and referenced by the subsequent philosophers.

Comment

Heidegger old school? Anyway, I won't say a word without having heard Popper's position on the issue

*thread turns into name-dropping fest*

Comment

*drops Paris Hilton*

Comment

I haven't read Popper myself, but people who I respect and agree with really like him. So he must be alright.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Popper pwns
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            History of philosophy is not they're thing and they're generally pretty bad at it.

Russel wrote "History of Western Thought".
                            Yes he did, but I bet that Plato, Aristotle, Descartes or Nietzsche scholars, for example, cringe when they read what he has to say about Plato, Aristotle, Descartes or Nietzsche.

I think that a philosopher and a historian of philosophy is one and the same thing. There are many people with their own theories around, but only those who bothered to read and reference previous philosophers are the ones who are going to be read and referenced by the subsequent philosophers.
                            Its like saying that sport commentators and athletes are one and the same thing. There are two types of research being done in philosophy departments nowadays: philosophy and history of philosophy. And they are quite different in nature. To paraphrase Quine, historians of philosophy want to know what philosophers of the past really meant, whereas philosophers seek the truth. There are historians of philosophy who never do philosophy and there are philosophers who never do history of philosophy And there are some who do both. And there are some who think that history of philosophy is an integral part of philosophy, people like Heidegger, Gadamer and Derrida for example. And there are some who think that philosophers don't really need history of philosophy, at least not when you're doing actual philosophical research: you only have to read contemporary thinkers. So much so that, a while back, American philosophers proposed that we should stop teaching the classics, like Plato, Descartes and Spinoza.
                            Last edited by Nostromo; February 14, 2008, 13:33.

Comment

American philosophers proposed

anti-Americanism

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X