Saudi religious police see red over Valentine's Day roses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi religious police see red over Valentine's Day roses

Afraid that Christian traditions are polluting Islam Saudi Arabia's official religious police crack down on Valentine's Day gifts.

Saudis clamp down on valentines
    Religious police in Saudi Arabia are banning the sale of Valentine's Day gifts including red roses, a local newspaper has reported.

The Saudi Gazette quoted shop workers as saying that officials had warned them to remove all red items including flowers and wrapping paper.

Black market prices for roses were already rising, the paper said.

Saudi authorities consider Valentine's Day, along with a host of other annual celebrations, as un-Islamic.

In addition to the prohibition on celebrating non-Islamic festivals, the authorities consider Valentine's Day as encouraging relations between men and women outside wedlock - punishable by law in the conservative kingdom.

The Saudi Gazette reported that some people placed orders with florists days or weeks before Valentine's Day in anticipation of the ban, which is a regular occurrence.

"Sometimes we deliver the bouquets in the middle of the night or early morning, to avoid suspicion," one florist said.

Others were planning to travel to the more religiously liberal neighbouring countries, Bahrain or the United Arab Emirates, to celebrate.

Saudi Arabian authorities impose a strict Islamic code that prevents men and women from mixing.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Such nonsense can only be because the Saudi's have improperly interpreted scripture.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not sure how true this is, but it is funny:
      When I worked in the Gulf I saw the mutawah drive specially equipped loudspeaker vans around the mostly Christian Philipino's worker district shouting in Arabic that they must NOT say Merry Christmas to each other.

Of course, few there spoke Arabic so the only sense they could make from the message was MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        Such nonsense can only be because the Saudi's have improperly interpreted scripture.
        What if they didn’t?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

As I had it explained to me from the wise posters of Poly - If religious people are being nutty it is b/c they failed to understand properly.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

My point is, if you belive in God how do you know the Saudis haven't got it right?
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I saw similar vans in Bahrain, though I don't know what message they were blasting.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Valentine's Day is a holy day???

Comment

Christian Saints and all...

Comment

Bah! If you observe what's going on, it's more like Christian sinners.
                    Last edited by Zkribbler; February 11, 2008, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                      And Bush ignores atrocities committed in Saudi Arabia because we're allied with that horrible country.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I think they object to the economic imperialism of the dirty capitalist dogs of the Hallmark and FTD corporations. Expropriate the roses! Expropriate the chocolates...

oops, wrong thread.
                        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

The Saudis are anti-love.

Comment

But they are pro-sex slavery and rape.

Comment

anti-love, pro-lust
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X