The Hum - or: I'm officially a freak now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hum - or: I'm officially a freak now

Argh, just about two hours ago I figured out that I'm a freak since November.

At the end of November I noticed a weird sound at night, a continuous humming, a bit like the bus motor when it's at the station right below our house. Yet that "bus" didn't go away after some seconds, it stayed.
    I continued to hear the hum esp. at night, after 11PM, and early in the morning in the following weeks, while my g/f only said she could "possibly" hear it on the toilet. My brother, who visited us over Xmas, said he could also hear it a few times and once disturbed him when sleeping. Others didn't notice the hum at all.
    I even bought an MP3 player (yes, I didn't have one before, maybe I was a freak already) just to be able to get to sleep better. I lept a day somehwere else, just in case, and it was not there. It's not me, no low frequency tinnitus (which would have been odd anyway, since the sound comes from outside) or hallucination, I was relieved. But what is the source? I suspected to be especially receptive to infrasound and thought about the vibration of some heating system or from the Sauna ventilation of my neighbours (we live in a flat). Or could it be electromagnetic fields, cell phones, WLAN - OMG, go get the tinfoil hat!

It seemed to be a bit better in January but yesterday it returned with might and now it disturbed me even during the day. So I googled "infrasound" and came across "The hum", a mysterious phenomenon that made it to the X-Files (The Taos hum), which seems to occur preferently at some locations (Baden Württemberg, Taos...). The descriptions fit my own experience perfectly, it seems only a very low percentage of people are able to registrate the sound, and no one can locate a source. But all the similar independent cases indicate that there must be a real basis for it.

I feel better now, since there are also others who experience the same. But I also feel bad because I'm one of small population that can sense this - I feel like I see ghosts, albeit real ghosts. I think my disposition to this is related to a generally high sensitivity when it comes to noise. My ENT doctor attested me a very fine receptorium. A TV in another flat can drive me crazy when other people are able to "turn off".

But now I'm a freak (with a sleeping problem).
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

It just means that the government's spy satellite is currently targeting your house. It'll move on in a month or so, provided you don't do or think anything suspicious.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If what other affected people is true, I'll most probably will have to live with that hum unless I move to the desert (oh, wait, it's called the Taos- hum. I'm doomed).
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

My bet: You're hearing some electrical device that has a current running through it even when its off so that it can be turned on without waiting for it to warm up.

Buy anything last November: TV set, X-Box, space heater, computer?

Comment

Just stop humming.

How about moving to a flat where you don't hear it?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            My bet: You're hearing some electrical device that has a current running through it even when its off so that it can be turned on without waiting for it to warm up.

Vibrating dildo for the woman in your life? I bet that's it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's probably a tumor.
              "

Comment

IT'S NOT A TUMOR!!!
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Comment

Which Discworld novel was it that had the painfully shy banshee? It wouldn't shriek but merely hide behind doors and hum. Maybe you have one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

No, definitely not. It's also not possible to locate a source in the flat. It's sll over the flat and also there when I step to the staircase.

And, as I've said: I tried to locate the source for over a month but couldn't. I was fascinated when researching that this has happened to thousands all over the world, and even that the sound is always compared to an idling diesel motor - this can't be coincidence.

So, either I'm victim of a psychological mass phenomenon that has an individual basis (since the cases are not due to publicity but independent) or there is some objective sound here that can be heard only by some.
                      Last edited by Wernazuma III; February 11, 2008, 02:51.

Comment

Taos is not in the desert, it's in the mountains. Lots of trees and such (below the treeline of course). Desert is further south.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          Just stop humming.

How about moving to a flat where you don't hear it?
                          I own the flat, I live there with wife and 2 children, and have my bureau there. Renting a flat would be very expensive, disrupt my work for months and cause all kinds of upstirs. My limit of suffering before moving is pretty high - also, I'd have to make sure that with moving, the humming goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Taos is not in the desert, it's in the mountains. Lots of trees and such (below the treeline of course). Desert is further south.
                            I know, but when I wrote about desert, I was too tempted. I haven't been to the SW of the US yet - lamentably.

Comment

Well, go to Santa Fe when you do ... it's beautiful, and a lot of history of the early Spanish colonies occurred there. Also, lots of good food
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X