Bush to withdraw from Iraq... er... EA admits it messed up big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush to withdraw from Iraq... er... EA admits it messed up big

Note: Discussion of a company is off topic, not gaming, even if it is a video game developer.

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has admitted the company made serious mistakes in integrating several well-known developers, including Bullfrog and Westwood, into its corporate structure, Game|Life reports.
    "We at EA blew it, and to a degree I was involved in these things, so I blew it," Riccitiello said at this week's DICE Summit in Las Vegas. "When I talked to the creators that populated these companies at the time, they felt like they were buried and stifled."

EA acquired Bullfrog Productions, creator of the Populous and Theme Park series and former home of industry veteran Peter Molyneux, in 1995. Two years later, Molyneux had left the company. "The command and conquer model doesn't work," noted Riccitiello. "If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

The CEO blamed the company's habit of applying similar management structures to studios brought under EA's wing, which in turn muted creative freedom. He went on to cite EA's recent acquisitions of BioWare and Maxis as examples of an improved model in which individual studios' corporate culture and goals remain intact.

Riccitiello added that EA's label model—in which teams and studios are designated by genre or product focus—is a solution to many issues facing developers, granting small studios a hefty financial backing without direct meddling in the development process.

During the course of his talk, Riccitiello also revealed that EA Canada's FIFA Soccer 08 shipped on eight platforms in 16 countries, and was localized into 20 languages, resulting in a boggling total of 94 different products.

Progress! Now if EA can just admit they screwed up the Madden series beyond repair and/or about to ruin the NBA series beyond repair (its still somewhat playable IMO) they might not get sued or whatever for false advertising over a course of 10 years.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Firaxis should be hung en masse.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ummm... for what, Sloww? Making the best Civ-style game ever by a country mile?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
          Ummm... for what, Sloww? Making the best Civ-style game ever by a country mile?
          And what game would that be?
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I think he's referring to Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Comment

Now the question is; is he sorry because it was stupid and immoral, or sorry because it was unprofitable .

Comment

"Immoral"? You kidding me?

There is definitely something artificial about your intelligence.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Conquering for profit is never moral.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                      Conquering for profit is never moral.
                      Isn't this ultimately the goal of all corporate acquisitions?

I think you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to make the case that corporate acquisitions are "immoral".

Comment

Well, it depends on how you define "conquest".

I tend to say that conquest, involves a degree of pillage and burn.

If it's just a matter of "We own you now. Go on doing what you've always done", then that's not really conquest...

Comment

I still think it's a huge stretch to extend morality to game company politics.

Reality check, Blake.

Comment

You would have a point, except video game programmers are humans too with lives and families.

It's not the corporate politics; it's the consequences on people.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                              Well, it depends on how you define "conquest".

I tend to say that conquest, involves a degree of pillage and burn.

If it's just a matter of "We own you now. Go on doing what you've always done", then that's not really conquest...
                              Ermm.. That would defeat the whole purpose of the aquisition. You wouldn't make any money out of it if you just allowed them to do what they've always done.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X