X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Hangs Head in Shame

"Euros Accepted" signs pop up in New York City

Wed Feb 6, 12:11 PM ET

In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.

"We didn't realize we would take so much in and there were that many people traveling or having euros to bring in. But some days, you'd be surprised at how many euros you get," Chu said.

"Now we have to get familiar with other currencies and the (British) pound and the Canadian dollars we take," he said.

While shops in many U.S. towns on the Canadian border have long accepted Canadian currency and some stores on the Texas-Mexico border take pesos, the acceptance of foreign money in Manhattan was unheard of until recently.

Not far from Chu's downtown wine emporium, Billy Leroy of Billy's Antiques & Props said the vast numbers of Europeans shopping in the neighborhood got him thinking, "My God, I should take euros in at the store."

Leroy doesn't even bother to exchange them.

"I'm happy if I take in 200 euros, because what I do is keep them," he said. "So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."
    I wonder when the Confederate dollar will pass up the US dollar. Watch out, here comes the peso.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.
    I heard that there's now a travel agency in Britain specializing in arranging shopping tours in the U.S. because prices here are now so unbelievably cheap.

Comment

At some point, manufacturer will pick up.

This is all just the obvious result of our actions.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I heard that there's now a travel agency in Britain specializing in arranging shopping tours in the U.S. because prices here are now so unbelievably cheap.
        AS a Canadian living near the border it was common for people to pop down into the US and snap up their cheap goods. Often things bear prices that are much higher in Canada since there were priced before the change in currencies. It is hoped/believed that this disparity should close
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Americans are pretty shameless when it comes to accepting legal tender. I seriously doubt anyone's hanging his head.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't see this as related to the weakness of the currency, given that the currency is quickly converted to USD anyway (except by little shop owners who travel to Europe). It's just convenience...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
              At some point, manufacturer will pick up.
              ...well, I guess that's good for China.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Americans are pretty shameless when it comes to accepting legal tender. I seriously doubt anyone's hanging his head.
                Cash is not always so welcome;

CompUSA Refuses To Accept Cash

A CompUSA cashier summoned her manager and a security guard when Bud tried to pay for his purchases with cash. The promise of 40% discounts drew Bud to the Boisie, Idaho store, but he settled for a 10% discount on an iMac and several accessories.

I start counting out hundred dollar bills and the clerk goes nuts! "Sir, we don't accept cash for this kind of purchase! You must use a credit card!" she says at the top of her lungs. (I see her also hit a button on the phone at the same time.)

Instantly a man shows up, clearly the manager from his nametag and the rent-a-cop security guy. Both tell me the same thing, "NO CASH! You have to pay with a credit card!"

CompUSA's corporate office defended the manager, saying that each store is free to set its own policies.

The manager's actions are legal. 31 U.S.C. 5103 says that cash is legal tender for all debts, public and private. Creditors can't refuse cash. CompUSA can.
                Of course, that doesn't mean they should.

I got a call back from a guy at CompUSA corporate, apologizing for what happened. He said that he would make sure that I was taken care of properly and that cash would be no problem. I told him I would think about it and call him back.

So I called the store to see if the items I wanted were in stock, after I asked the guy about them he said, "I know who you are, your the guy that wanted to pay cash. My district manager & corporate called me and read me the riot act over this. Thanks for getting me in trouble!"

He then hung up on me!

And you wondered why they were going out of business.

Comment

It's not so much the topic of accepting euros, as it is the implication that the exchange rate between the euro and the dollar is dropping so rapidly. Currently $1 USD is worth .69 euro. It is just a little depressing when thinking about how much it's going to cost to visit family in Europe this summer.
                  In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
                    Cash is not always so welcome;
                    CompUSA is Mexican.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Money is money.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                        It's not so much the topic of accepting euros, as it is the implication that the exchange rate between the euro and the dollar is dropping so rapidly.
                        Nah, still can't manage to hang my head.

But have fun in Europe!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

But have fun in Europe!
                          Nah, not so much fun here, but when we visit US
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Indeed. Please do come and spend your money here

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              Nah, not so much fun here, but when we visit US
                              Could you bring us some Swiss chocolate?

Comment

Working...
                              X