Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mississippi: Innovative protectors of public health or descriminating retards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatties
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

speakeasys

Comment

Something needs to be done about the obesity epidemic, though, there was some ridiculous estimate on NPR last night about the increased cost to MN in health care dollars if the rate of obesity continues growing at the same rate over the next 10 years.
        Another reason to not have universal healthcare. Fatties don't only hog the buffet line

Big number (don't remember it). Most of the proposed solutions reek of anti-fat dude discrimination unfortunately -- including the OP. And seriously, some 15 year old working the register at McD's is going to tell a 35 year old 350 pounder that he can't have his Big Mac -- I don't think so.
        "Give me a liter of cola!"
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Since it's Mississippi were talking about, it's most likely retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

"Give me a liter of cola!"

Embarrassing, but I can't remember where that is from -- I can absolutely hear it, I just can't place it. Help me out.

By the way - the insurance industry is already getting hit by the obesity epidemic, universal coverage or not -- lots of carriers pay for breast reductions, bariatric surgery, knee replacements, etc. I don't know that many charge higher rates for the obese. Maybe they do. Anyone know?
            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Embarrassing, but I can't remember where that is from -- I can absolutely hear it, I just can't place it. Help me out.
              Super Troopers

By the way - the insurance industry is already getting hit by the obesity epidemic, universal coverage or not -- lots of carriers pay for breast reductions, bariatric surgery, knee replacements, etc. I don't know that many charge higher rates for the obese. Maybe they do. Anyone know?
              Insurance, yes. The actual cost of healthcare charged by hospitals, no, that is still charged on a per procedure basis. As far as I know obesity is not a factor in most health insurance plans but some of the conditions brought on by it might.
              Last edited by Patroklos; February 1, 2008, 13:19.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Banana

Fried bananas
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Insurance, yes. The actual cost of healthcare charged by hospitals, no, that is still charged on a per procedure basis. As far as I know obesity is not a factor in most health insurance plans but some of the conditions brought on by it might.

Maybe your post about universal health care and obesity was just off the cuff and I'm reading too much into it --

I thought you were saying that obese people would use more health care dollars per "premium" (aka tax ) dollar put into the system relative to their skinny neighbors creating an inequal system.

I was saying that they're already using more health care dollars per "premium" (actual insurance premium) dollar relative to the skinny. The insurance company then spreads that cost to all plan members - fat and skinny alike, already an inequal system.

I have only the most rudimentary understanding of health care spending and the insurance industry though. (And this insurance issue it a bit different than the original issue -- whoever pays for it: more obesity --> more dollars spent on health care.)

Comment

Fried bananas
                    QFMFT

Comment

Maybe your post about universal health care and obesity was just off the cuff and I'm reading too much into it --

I thought you were saying that obese people would use more health care dollars per "premium" (aka tax ) dollar put into the system relative to their skinny neighbors creating an inequal system.
                      It was half off the cuff and half not.

Yes, they are probably driving up insurance costs, but since their obesity generates health problems insurance companies do charge higher premiums for, they do pay more than me for their negligence.

In universal healthcare, we both pay the same (assuming we are in the same tax braket), and when they increase the tax to pay for their self induced bad health I pay more for no extra use.

Comment

Yes, they are probably driving up insurance costs, but since their obesity generates health problems insurance companies do charge higher premiums for, they do pay more than me for their negligence.
                        True, their rates may go up due to diabetes, hypertension and cholesterol. (Or maybe not -- my health plan charges a flat rate for all members regardless of conditions/risk factors -- but I have a very good plan). I'm not sure that any health plan increases rates enough to cover the costs of something like bariatric surgery. Gastic bypass (bariatric) surgery is become so common it's insane -- more and more teenagers asking for it.

Your point is well taken though. The same logic could be applied to many different groups -- smokers, alcohlics, people who choose to keep loved ones on prolonged life support, couples with extremely premature infants. Hard to know where to draw the line, ya know? I think that's most of the problem with health care spending in the U.S. today -- we fail to adequately pay for a lot of things we should (control of hypertension or cholesterol, drug counseling) because we insist on paying for many things we shouldn't (heroic measures at the end of life, ?maybe bariatric surgery required due to a lifestyle choice?) Slippery slope.

Comment

True, and I guess thats what Oerdin was trying to get at. Should obesity be considered a self inflicted health problem and the cost of said problem foisted on them?

I think yes. Insurance companies should be able to charge a higher premium because you are obese, or for any health condition that is caused self inflicted affliction.

Comment

Not if you get your healthcare from a company's group health plan. Then its spread out over the group.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Not if you get your healthcare from a company's group health plan. Then its spread out over the group.
                              Hmmm, yeah I guess your rigtht. That should change.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
                                While in principle, it wouldn't have to be a poor tax. I agree, in practice it would disproportionately impact the poor and working class and is probably a bad idea.
                                Cig taxes disproportionately affect the poor as well. Do you think they are a bad idea?
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X