Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Mr. Beadle

[q=BBC]Tributes paid to TV star Beadle

Jeremy Beadle was best known for playing practical jokes on TV.Tributes have been paid to television presenter and prankster Jeremy Beadle, who has died aged 59 from pneumonia.

Henry Kelly, his co-host on 1980s ITV show Game For A Laugh, said: "I loved and admired him," adding he would "miss him desperately".

His friend Sir Alan Sugar said it was "a sad loss" and called Beadle a "very, very nice man".

Beadle was best known for hosting shows including You've Been Framed, but raised millions for charity.

Sarah Kennedy, who also co-presented Game For A Laugh, said the renowned joker was "probably not the man the public knew".

"He loved the showing-off side but was a clever, clever boy. I'm terribly upset.

"The underneath of him was a deeply intelligent person - during the Game For A Laugh days he had much more to do with the planning," added the BBC Radio 2 host.

'Consummate professional'

Noel Edmonds said the pair enjoyed a "friendly rivalry" when Beadle presented Game For A Laugh and he hosted the Late Late Breakfast Show.

He added: "I am so shocked at the news. I didn't realise he was so ill.

"He was a consummate professional but also a greatly misunderstood man - a great TV talent who was never truly appreciated.

Former You've Been Framed producer Dianne Nelmes said he was known for his pranks, "but in reality he was the kindest person you could ever meet".

His third Game For A Laugh co-host Matthew Kelly, who is currently away, said through his agent that he is "deeply, deeply saddened" by Beadle's death, adding they had "many fun times together".

Beadle, who was born in Hackney, east London, leaves behind his wife Sue, daughters Cassie and Bonnie, and his stepchildren Leo and Claire.

In his heyday, he regularly attracted television audiences of 15 million for Beadle's About and You've Been Framed.

I loved and admired him and I shall miss him desperately
    Henry Kelly

Obituary: Jeremy Beadle
    'Wonderful man' remembered

But in recent years he had battled poor health after being diagnosed with a mild form of leukaemia in 2005. He also had a cancerous kidney removed.

He attracted funds for Children with Leukaemia all through his life and is thought to have raised more than £100 million for all charities.

In 2001 he was awarded an MBE.

Beadle was diagnosed with cancer in 2005, but this did not lessen his work rate.

In autumn 2007 he released three books, and he had been working on ideas for television programmes when he fell ill.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Growing up during the 80's Beadle made me laugh so hard that at times it hurt

Gavin Eyqum
    Send us your comments

Eddie O'Gorman, Children with Leukaemia's founder, added: "Jeremy was not only a close personal friend and an extraordinary entertainer, he was one of the most dedicated supporters this charity has ever seen.

Michael Cohen, chairman of MPC Entertainment, Mr Beadle's agents, said the star was "one of the biggest TV stars in reality television, and raised many, many tens of millions of pounds for charity, and I am sure that's what he would like to be remembered for.

"He was a fantastic human being, a very close friend and he will be greatly missed."

Paul Jackson, ITV's director of entertainment, said: "We are incredibly saddened to hear the news and our sympathy goes to Jeremy's family." [/q]

RIP. I thought he was a good and respectable presenter
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Doubt many here know who he was. But RIP.

Comment

used to love his shows when i was little.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

RIP He was a decent bloke.

I only found out recently he had one little hand, never noticed back then watching his programmes.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Gosh, another memory from my teenage years spent in Britain... pouf! Gone.

I also heard that Ian Richardson had passed away last year. I was also very surprised when I learned in 2006 that Richard Whiteley had been dead for some time.

Yah, I'd been told that Jeremy Beadle had one hand considerably smaller than the other. But I had never noticed.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Odd - I never noticed it either.

Comment

It was a big joke when I was at school. To do a proper Beadle impression, you have to squeeze your hand up and pull your sleeve partly over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                I also heard that Ian Richardson had passed away last year.
                For me this was a far more serious loss than Beadle. Richardson was a genius, and my favourite actor by a mile. By coincidence, I believe his last appearance was as Death in the adaptation of Pratchett's Hogfather. His Francis Urqhart character was brilliant beyond description.

Ian Richardson.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Ian Richardson.
                  True dat. I loved his portrayal of Bill Hayden in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I actually met Jeremy Beadle just before Christmas and remember thinking that he looked like he'd seriously let himself go without realising now all the health issues he had to deal with.

He was a very friendly and interesting guy to meet in person - but he used to irritate me massively when he used to be on TV.

RIP.
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                    X