Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra extra! Read all about it! Hamas attempts to lie to the international community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra extra! Read all about it! Hamas attempts to lie to the international community

Breaking news about Satellite from The Jerusalem Post. Read the latest updates on Satellite including articles, videos, opinions and more.

On at least two occasions this week, Hamas staged scenes of darkness as part of its campaign to end the political and economic sanctions against the Gaza Strip, Palestinian journalists said Wednesday.

In the first case, journalists who were invited to cover the Hamas government meeting were surprised to see Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh and his ministers sitting around a table with burning candles.

In the second case on Tuesday, journalists noticed that Hamas legislators who were meeting in Gaza City also sat in front of burning candles.

But some of the journalists noticed that there was actually no need for the candles because both meetings were being held in daylight.

"They had closed the curtains in the rooms to create the impression that Hamas leaders were also suffering as a result of the power stoppage," one journalist told The Jerusalem Post. "It was obvious that the whole thing was staged."

Another journalist said he and his colleagues were told to wait for a few minutes before entering the chamber of the Palestinian Legislative Council so that each legislator would have time to light his candle. He said that when he saw that the curtains had been closed to prevent the light from entering, he realized that Hamas was trying to manipulate the media for political gain.
    I am sure you are all shocked.

So do they or do they not have electricity?

If they do and pretend not to, it's a lie.

If they don't and show it off despite of daylight, it's staged propaganda pointing at an undisputable fact, but it is not a lie.

Overall the point of the article seems to be "Who needs electricity if he can have daylight".

Comment

Omg the media gets manipulated?! Everything the media says could be tainted and not the complete truth! NOOOOO!!!

Comment

We do it all the time since beginning around 2002. Works pretty well at first...

Comment

Arabs are pathological liars when it comes to Israel. That's just a fact.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Arabs are pathological liars when it comes to non-arabs That's just a fact.
            fixed.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Especially Israel though.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Welcome to politics, Vesayen.

That's just how the game is played. From Bush landing a jet on an aircraft carrier right on down to local community organizers and non-profits. The mission of those of us in politics is to tell our message. Unfortunately facts aren't enough to do that (I, and everyone else wish that were the case).

But usually saying Edwards pays $500 for a haircut gets more attention than his health care plan. So people in the public eye have to be very careful not just to get their facts right but to set up their surroundings, appearance, etc in a way that emphasizes rather than detracts from their message.

That is what Hamas did.

Whether or not there was daylight or whether or not the Hamas building had electricity (though Sir Ralph brings up an excellent point) the fact is that many (most?) people in Gaza don't have electricity now. So the point of the media is to discuss those facts and get that message out. The candles emphasize rather than detract from that message.

So... get over it.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                  We do it all the time since beginning around 1492. Works pretty well at first...
                  Corrected...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Why not just wait until it was dark and then have the press conference?
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Ozzy - Except we are talking about the sincerity of Hamas not the lack of electricity in Gaza. Their message was lost.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Strange. Hamas and similar organisations usually try to impress people by showing off that hostile actions don't or scarcely harm them but the normal population instead. They would delibaretely show a weak position here? Maybe they are desperate after all!
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

it depends on the effect they're trying to achieve, I guess.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                          X