• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80th Academy Awards - Nominations

80th Academy Awards - Nominations
    Sunday, February 24, 2008

Performance by an actor in a leading role
    George Clooney in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
    Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)
    Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
    Tommy Lee Jones in "In the Valley of Elah" (Warner Independent)
    Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
    Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.)
    Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
    Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" (Universal)
    Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild" (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)
    Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
    Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal)
    Julie Christie in "Away from Her" (Lionsgate)
    Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse)
    Laura Linney in "The Savages" (Fox Searchlight)
    Ellen Page in "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
    Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There" (The Weinstein Company)
    Ruby Dee in "American Gangster" (Universal)
    Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement" (Focus Features)
    Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone" (Miramax)
    Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Achievement in directing
    "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Julian Schnabel
    "Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Jason Reitman
    "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Tony Gilroy
    "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
    "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Paul Thomas Anderson

Best foreign language film of the year
    "Beaufort" Israel
    "The Counterfeiters" Austria
    "Katyn" Poland
    "Mongol" Kazakhstan
    "12" Russia

Best motion picture of the year
    "Atonement" (Focus Features) A Working Title Production: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Paul Webster, Producers
    "Juno" (Fox Searchlight) A Dancing Elk Pictures, LLC Production: Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick and Russell Smith, Producers
    "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.) A Clayton Productions, LLC Production: Sydney Pollack, Jennifer Fox and Kerry Orent, Producers
    "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production: Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
    "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax) A JoAnne Sellar/Ghoulardi Film Company Production: JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Lupi, Producers

Adapted screenplay
    "Atonement" (Focus Features), Screenplay by Christopher Hampton
    "Away from Her" (Lionsgate), Written by Sarah Polley
    "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Screenplay by Ronald Harwood
    "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
    "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Written for the screen by Paul Thomas Anderson

Original screenplay
    "Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Diablo Cody
    "Lars and the Real Girl" (MGM), Written by Nancy Oliver
    "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Written by Tony Gilroy
    "Ratatouille" (Walt Disney), Screenplay by Brad Bird; Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird
    "The Savages" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Tamara Jenkins

Good thread Zkribbler.

I like PT Anderson. Has anyone seen There Will Be Blood? Thoughts?

I heard it was long (as his movies tend to be) but that's about it...
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      ... Has anyone seen There Will Be Blood?
      I haven't seen it, but I've heard lots of reviewers who are gaga over Daniel Day-Lewis's acting in it.

Comment

I'm not surprised. I mentioned him in the other thead. I thought Lewis was absolutely awesome as "Bill the Butcher" in Gangs of New York.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I can't believe Michael Clayton did that well. I love Clooney, and I have a serious weak spot for fie!-on-big-bad-capitalism liberal melodramas, but that was a really mediocre film with one of the most ludicrous endings I've seen in a while.

Anyway, some off-the-cuff predictions:

Picture: No Country...
          Director: Coen brothers
          Actor: Lewis
          Actress: Christie
          S. Actor: Affleck
          S. Actress: Blanchett
          Adapted Screenplay: Diving Bell
          Original Screenplay: no freaking clue
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Huh. I've seen exactly 0 of the movies up for any award listed in that post. Guess I won't vote, then...
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Whoa, i haven't seen any of those movies either.. books have taken over again, few years ago i had seen most Oscar nominated films.

I'd like to see Mongol.
              Last edited by Julian Delphiki; January 24, 2008, 02:40.

Comment

Haven't seen any of them, but read that Juno was awesome, so I'll be pulling for Page, I guess.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  I can't believe Michael Clayton did that well. I love Clooney, and I have a serious weak spot for fie!-on-big-bad-capitalism liberal melodramas, but that was a really mediocre film with one of the most ludicrous endings I've seen in a while.
                  Rotten Tomatoes, home of the Tomatometer, is the most trusted measurement of quality for Movies & TV. The definitive site for Reviews, Trailers, Showtimes, and Tickets

Former prosecutor Michael Clayton (George Clooney) works as a "fixer" at the corporate law firm of Kenner, Bach and Ledeen, and takes care of his employer's dirty work. Burned out and deep in debt, he is bound tightly to the firm. Clayton faces the biggest challenge of his career when a guilt-ridden attorney (Tom Wilkinson) has a breakdown during a huge class-action lawsuit.

90% fresh with 94% cream of the crop fresh on rottentomatoes.com. So it was a very highly rated movie by the critics. Maybe it just wasn't your cup of tea.

--

From the Best Picture noms, it seems we have an amazing group of pictures. No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood apparently are amazing dramas (from the ratings) and Juno also appears to be a great film. May be one of those years we look back on and say there were potential 3 (or more) Best Pictures in that crop.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Haven't seen any of them...
                    Come to think of it, neither have I.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Come to think of it, neither have I.
                      I collect DVDs so I am usually up to a year behind on new movies. I'm patient enough to take a note and wait.

Comment

I've only seen No Country for Old Men (great by the way), but here are my guesses.

Actor: DDL
                        SupActor: Javier Bardem
                        Actress: no freaking idea -- Blanchett I guess, bad movie though from what I've heard
                        SupActress: Blanchett (academy are Blanchett fanboys)
                        Director: No Country
                        Foregin language: eeny, meeny , miney...12
                        Adapted screenplay: TWBB
                        Original screenplay: Juno
                        Move: TWBB
                        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Rotten Tomatoes, home of the Tomatometer, is the most trusted measurement of quality for Movies & TV. The definitive site for Reviews, Trailers, Showtimes, and Tickets

Former prosecutor Michael Clayton (George Clooney) works as a "fixer" at the corporate law firm of Kenner, Bach and Ledeen, and takes care of his employer's dirty work. Burned out and deep in debt, he is bound tightly to the firm. Clayton faces the biggest challenge of his career when a guilt-ridden attorney (Tom Wilkinson) has a breakdown during a huge class-action lawsuit.

90% fresh with 94% cream of the crop fresh on rottentomatoes.com. So it was a very highly rated movie by the critics. Maybe it just wasn't your cup of tea.
                          No, I knew it was that highly rated, which is why I went to see it (aside from Clooney); it's also my cup of tea, since I like conspiracy films and Norma Rae/Erin Brokovich-type liberal polemics. And it was a good enough movie -- though, again, the ending was some of the laziest, most absurd writing I've seen in a while. But one of the five best of the year?

But then, it's Oscar. I've already seen Ordinary People beat Raging Bull, Dances with Wolves beat Goodfellas, Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction, and Kill Bill 1 & 2 pass by entirely unnoticed by the Academy. Nothing should surprise me anymore.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

When Nicole Kidman got the Best Actress award :award: I knew the Oscars were capable of committing any atrocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              No, I knew it was that highly rated, which is why I went to see it ... But one of the five best of the year?
                              One of the highest rated films of the year (very few have better rating at RT for this year) gets nominated as one of the five best films of the year? OMG, shocking!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X