• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heath Ledger Dead!

[q=BBC]Heath Ledger tribute in New York
    Flowers have been left in tribute in New York

Ledger's life in film
    Hollywood stars have paid tribute to Australian actor Heath Ledger who has been found dead in New York.

"I had such great hope for him. He was just taking off and to lose his life at such a young age is a tragic loss," said Mel Gibson, who acted with Ledger.

Australian actress Nicole Kidman called the death of the Brokeback Mountain star a "terrible tragedy".

Police are reportedly investigating whether the 28-year-old died of an overdose of prescription pills.

His father Kim Ledger said the death of his 28-year-old "dearly loved son" had been "tragic" and "accidental".

Speaking in the actor's home town of Perth, Western Australia, Mr Ledger said his son had been a "down-to-earth, generous, kind hearted, life-loving, unselfish individual".

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd also paid tribute, calling the star "one of our nation's finest actors".

I deeply respected Heath's work and always admired his continuing development as an artist
    Cate Blanchett

In quotes: Heath Ledger tributes
    "Heath Ledger's diverse and challenging roles will be remembered as some of the great performances by an Australian actor," he said.

Cate Blanchett, who co-starred in one of Ledger's recent films, I'm Not There, said she was "shocked and very saddened by the news".

"I deeply respected Heath's work and always admired his continuing development as an artist. My thoughts are with his family and close friends."

American actor John Travolta, who was in Australia at the time of Ledger's death, said the young actor had been one of his favourite performers.

The saddest thing is his daughter whom he just loved dearly
    Larry Williams, father of ex-partner Michelle Williams

Obituary: Heath Ledger
    "I don't know how to compare his talent to others but he's touched me deeply as a talent and it's a great loss," he said.

Ledger was found dead in the apartment he had been renting for several months at 1526 (2026 GMT) on Tuesday.

New York police said they did not suspect foul play and were investigating the possibility of an overdose as his body was discovered with prescription pills nearby.

The medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be carried out on Wednesday.

Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger
    Ledger had split up with fellow Brokeback star Michelle Williams
    In September, the Perth-born actor split from his girlfriend Michelle Williams, with whom he has a two-year-old daughter, Matilda.

Williams played his wife in the 2005 film Brokeback Mountain.

The actress' father Larry Williams said the worst thing about Ledger's death was that Matilda would grow up without knowing her father.

"My heart goes out to everyone in his family and my family. The saddest thing is his daughter whom he just loved dearly," he said.

Ledger was seen in London last week shooting his latest film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, directed by Terry Gilliam.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Terrible to see his young daughter lose her father. I've been looking forward to seeing him in the new Batman movie

Mark, Houston
    Send us your comments
    No statement has yet been made on the effect Ledger's death will have on the film's production.

The star also plays The Joker in yet-to-be-released Batman film The Dark Knight, made by the Warner Bros studio.

Although production has finished, it is unclear whether the movie will be released in July as scheduled.

"The studio is stunned and devastated by this tragic news," a Warner Bros statement said.

Brokeback Mountain director Ang Lee said Ledger's performance had been a "miracle" of acting, echoing a young Marlon Brando.

He won an Oscar nomination for his role as a gay cowboy in the film.[/q]

I liked him in "A Knights' Tale"."
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Wait, there were two Heath Ledgers? And they died at the same time? Wow. You can't make **** like that up.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

A day late and a thread short.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Before LS gets his spam in ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
        X