Bye, bye Fred Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    Huckabee doesn't strike me as the type to shove his beliefs down my throat. Granted, I'm not gay so I have considerably less to fear from yet another right-wing Evangelical presidency. More people are being oppressed by the economic conservatives than by the social conservatives. You might be able to **** more freely under an economic conservative, but you're more likely to be too poor to afford a place to do the ****ing.
    You're only seeing the economic conservatism of Huckabee; he is also extremely socially conservative and a bigot with the capital "B."

We're talking about the same guy who wanted to separate people with AIDS or HIV from rest of population in 1992.

EDIT: And by the way, the gay civil rights movement cannot be reduced to something so narrow as merely being free to **** whomever you want. There are a whole range of issues that are of concern for gay and lesbian civil rights activists.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You're only seeing the economic conservatism of Huckabee

I'm not sure I'd call it the economic "conservatism" per se. But, che is a communist; what do you think he'd hold as more important?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        You're only seeing the economic conservatism of Huckabee

I'm not sure I'd call it the economic "conservatism" per se. But, che is a communist; what do you think he'd hold as more important?

Red frogs!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

You're only seeing the economic conservatism of Huckabee; he is also extremely socially conservative and a bigot with the capital "B."

We're talking about the same guy who wanted to separate people with AIDS or HIV from rest of population in 1992.
          I don't disagree that Huckabee has said some loathesome things. But he was chief executive of a state -- did he use his power to actually do anything to follow up on his rhetoric? And, if as governor of Arkansas -- in a relatively homogeneous state, with conservative population -- he didn't really do anything theocratic, what makes you think he would, or could, as president?

Giuliani, by contrast, immediately used his executive powers to consolidate power in the mayors office, cow the city council, and use the police to cow the populace as a whole -- moves straight from the Tinpot Dictator Handbook.

To be sure, I'd never want to see either of them in the White House, ever. But we've seen how Huckabee governs, and we've seen how Giuliani governs, and there's just no comparison.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
            Giuliani, by contrast, immediately used his executive powers to consolidate power in the mayors office, cow the city council, and use the police to cow the populace as a whole -- moves straight from the Tinpot Dictator Handbook.
            I liked the part where he tried to delay the election of his successor.

Comment

We could definitely do a lot worse as far a GOP candidates go.

I'd rather have 16 years of Nixon than 4 years of any of the current Republican crop.

I miss the Nelson Rockefeller wing of the Republican party.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                We could definitely do a lot worse as far a GOP candidates go.

I'd rather have 16 years of Nixon than 4 years of any of the current Republican crop.

One thing you can say about Nixon, he was to the left of the current crop of Democrats.

I miss the Nelson Rockefeller wing of the Republican party.

I don't. If all the moderates from the GOP would become Democrats, and all the liberals become Greens, we could have a much more interesting political system.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

I don't disagree that Huckabee has said some loathesome things. But he was chief executive of a state -- did he use his power to actually do anything to follow up on his rhetoric? And, if as governor of Arkansas -- in a relatively homogeneous state, with conservative population -- he didn't really do anything theocratic, what makes you think he would, or could, as president?

To be sure, I'd never want to see either of them in the White House, ever. But we've seen how Huckabee governs, and we've seen how Giuliani governs, and there's just no comparison.
                  I never set out to try to compare Giuliani and Huckabee anyway; I was speaking about Huckabee by himself. Others in this thread are comparing the two.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

I never set out to try to compare Giuliani and Huckabee anyway; I was speaking about Huckabee by himself. Others in this thread are comparing the two.
                    Fair enough. And Huckabee is a loathesome figure, too. I just don't see him having the inclination or ability to achieve legislation of his bigotry, which mitigates things a little -- though not much.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

At the very least, no matter which of these chuckleheads ends up winning the election (and it WILL be the Republican nominee), it'll be an improvement on the last seven years.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'd prefer Bush to Huckabee.

Comment

Working...
                        X