Last voice of the Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    If you poke yourself in the eye with a stick, then do it again, is the 2nd time less traumatic?
    Yes, I'd imagine that it would be.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Try it and report the results back to us.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think SlowwHand is very right on the subject, odd that.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Languages dying out

Comment

Why surprised? Because of misconception on your part, is the only explanation.

Tragedy is usually sad, Che. At least from my experience it is.
            He's surprised because this is a story that gives the U.S. a black eye, and you ain't one known for posting such things. It doesn't surprise me at all that you would care, however. You have a decent heart.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Try it and report the results back to us.
              But common sense would tell you that. Certainly getting poked in the other eye like that would be less traumatic as the element of surprise would be gone, for one thing. Yes, it would still be painful, but less likely to be as shocking as the first time.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I appreciate that, Che. I seriously do.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Thanks for posting this Sloww. The world will be a poorer place when she passes.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

It doesn't really mean the language is dead, just that everyone who spoke it will be. It just means that it won't be spoken on this earth any longer.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I lived in Whichita Falls for a number of years, first daughter was born there. Our family hometown is but 40 miles north of there, Vernon Texas. They have a Red River Musuem there with lots of things from Quanah Parker and Geranimo (sp?). Many tribes used to freely roam that part of Texas.

I've always thought on some level that the Indians got it right. Respect the earth, air, water etc... use only what you need and then we all appeared. Thanks Sloww for a timely reminder.
                      Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                      Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                      Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                      You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        It doesn't really mean the language is dead, just that everyone who spoke it will be. It just means that it won't be spoken on this earth any longer.
                        Um.....Lancer love ya' honey but yes that does mean DEAD! Gone forever, bit the big one, no longer here, you get the picture.
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Don't these native americans believe in life after death? When they get to the happy hunting grounds, or wherever, what language do you expect they'll be speaking?
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            QFT. Languages live and die.

Besides, it's exceedingly silly (and mildly offensive) to be exotifying minor Nepali languages while bemoaning teh rise of slang. How does one think those 100+ languages came about, anyway?
                            I can't wait 'til l33t sp34k dies out so we can revere it, too.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat

Um.....Lancer love ya' honey but yes that does mean DEAD! Gone forever, bit the big one, no longer here, you get the picture.
                              You mean like: Requiescat in Pace ?

Lancer:

Doris too will move on one of these days. She believes in heaven and in God, and doesn't figure there's much difference whether it's the Wichita or Christian creator. But if she gets a choice of language in the next world, it would be the one of her mother and grandparents and their parents.

"I'll be speakin' Wichita, I hope," she says.
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                                Don't these native americans believe in life after death? When they get to the happy hunting grounds, or wherever, what language do you expect they'll be speaking?
                                By that definition nobody is dead.
                                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                                X