RIP Bobby Fischer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Bobby Fischer

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

So it's official, the guy is no longer nuts..

Yeah, R.I.P.

Comment

That poor mad genius

RIP

All chess games today should commence 1. e4
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Rest in peace!

He was one of the best chess players of all times, who gave the world so many great games.

Unforgotten his 21 turns draw against Mikhail Tal (the world champion at this time) at the 14th chess olympiad.

R. Fischer - M. Tal, Chess olympiad Leipzig 1960 (French opening): 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. a3 Ba5 6. b4 cxd4 7. Qg4 Ne7 8. bxa5 dxc3 9. Qxg7 Rg8 10. Qxh7 Nbc6 11. Nf3 Qc7 12. Bb5 Bd7 13. O-O O-O-O 14. Bg5 Nxe5! 15. Nxe5 Bxb5 16. Nxf7 Bxf1 17. Nxd8 Rxg5 18. Nxe6 Rxg2+ 19. Kh1! (19. Kxf1? 20. Rxh2) Qe5 20. Rxf1 Qxe6 21. Kxg2 Qg4+ 1/2-1/2 (perpetual check)

A draw to behold! Not like these stupid draws in modern chess, where neither side does the other any harm.

Also thanks to Island, that gave him shelter when his home country was witch hunting him for playing chess when he was supposed not to.

Sure, some of his political views were nuts, but I will always remember him as a magnificient chess player.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
          Rest in peace!

He was one of the best chess players of all times, who gave the world so many great games.

Unforgotten his 21 turns draw against Mikhail Tal (the world champion at this time) at the 14th chess olympiad.

R. Fischer - M. Tal, Chess olympiad Leipzig 1960 (French opening): 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. a3 Ba5 6. b4 cxd4 7. Qg4 Ne7 8. bxa5 dxc3 9. Qxg7 Rg8 10. Qxh7 Nbc6 11. Nf3 Qc7 12. Bb5 Bd7 13. O-O O-O-O 14. Bg5 Nxe5! 15. Nxe5 Bxb5 16. Nxf7 Bxf1 17. Nxd8 Rxg5 18. Nxe6 Rxg2+ 19. Kh1! (19. Kxf1? 20. Rxh2) Qe5 20. Rxf1 Qxe6 21. Kxg2 Qg4+ 1/2-1/2 (perpetual check)

A draw to behold!

Also thanks to Island, that gave him shelter when his home country was witch hunting him for playing chess when he was supposed not to.

Sure, some of his political views were nuts, but I will always remember him as a magnificient chess player.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

what I don't get is the general fascination with Jews by some people, him being one of them...

why on earth is it even interesting to have an obsession with Jews??? I guess Christianity is to blame for most of it, still... quite incredible, why don't people love to hate the Romans

as for chess... simply brilliant, and cause of death - kidney failure - Did he drink too much or what?
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

RIP.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Check mate, from "shah mat," the king is dead.

Seems appropriate.

Comment

He was mad, but his games were so beatiful... I still remember my playing showing me games of "My 60 Memorable Games" when I was a kid.

I am very sorry that I am not playing with my chess team this Sunday, so I will not be able to honour his games (not exactly him). Well, next Sunday it will be.
                  Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Shah mat, indeed.
                    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                      Rest in peace!

*snip*

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

RIP
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Well, the Jews finally got him I guess!!!

Seriously though, poor guy had obviously been deranged for a long time. I'm not surprised he hated the US, given the way he was used as a pawn in the Cold War (no pun intended). His anti-semitism was rather strange, given his ancestry, although he was a general racist IIRC.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Boris Spassky tells the wonderful story of meeting Fischer for their famous match in Iceland.

Spassky had been working out and playing lots of tennis, so he was very fit. His plan was to walk confidently up to Fischer and warmly shake hands with one hand while grasping Fischer's bicep with his left hand. This would emphasize the America's limpid muscles. Gain +1 psych point.

Fischer got off the plane, was blinded by the sun, and walked right passed the waiting Spassky. Someone turned him around and got him headed back in the right direction. When Fischer spotted Spassky, he shouted out, "Boris! You look thin!" --Not "healthy" thin, but "have- you-got-cancer?" thin.

Fischer wasn't psyched out, but Spassky was.
                            Last edited by Zkribbler; January 18, 2008, 21:40.

Comment

Not only did he become World Champion:

he re-invented the game.

Rest in peace.
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X