Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

They are still LOUD!
    What's the problem? Are diesel engines drowning out the ambient gunshot sounds in your neighbourhood?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
      I still believe that Hydrogen is the answer. It can be mass produced using electrolysis...and the power for that can come cheap, safe, and clean from nuclear.

Nuclear is neither cheap, clean, nor safe. Wave bells and tidal turbines ftw!
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Originally posted by PLATO
        I still believe that Hydrogen is the answer. It can be mass produced using electrolysis...and the power for that can come cheap, safe, and clean from nuclear.

Nuclear is neither cheap, clean, nor safe. Wave bells and tidal turbines ftw!
        Sure it is!

It only needs a standardized reactor design and people in Yucca mountain to understand.

I do like the others as well, but they will never supply what we need.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Wave bells and tidal turbines ftw!
          Did you hear about the planned-attempt to tap into the power of the Gulf Stream off of Florida by putting turbines at the bottom of the sea? The problem with it I see is that, at least initially, they appear to be copying the design of wind turbines and putting them underwater. I think that the water pressure will prove to much for those thin blades and that they should go to helix-shaped blades instead. But we shall see.
          Last edited by Zkribbler; January 17, 2008, 21:25.

Comment

Nuclear is neither cheap, clean, nor safe.
            No offense, but that is clean and pure BS.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Nuclear power

is not cheap.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

it's cheap enough
                APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Properly tuned diesel engines are actually quite clean and less polluting than gasoline. Especially biodiesel.
                  Problem is that the Brazilians are massively cutting rainforest to produce biodiesel. The net effect is negative.

What we should do is replace the ineffective and ravenous moneywasting sugar/-.... farming that is subsidized by the EU for example and use the available assets for biodiesel. That's still not what's happening. Maybe only a little bit
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

No offense, but that is clean and pure BS.
                    It's not cheap. Prices are artificially reduced. Alternative power sources don't get the same opportunities by the State (I'm talking about Belgium here of course) that nuclear power suppliers receive.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

while true that alternative is overlooked, nuclear is much better than what we have, and if anything we have to thank the French who lead the way

80% of their electricty supply is nuclear.. .the side effects (apart from a site where the waste will be stored) are lower reliance on middle east/Russian oil and natural gas, less dependance on oil price increases, cleanest air in the industrialized nations, a lot less contribution to greenhouse issue, etc...

if US as worlds biggest economy was following the French exmple, a lot of the current issues both in foreign policy, and the environment would be easily averted...

environmentalists would want too much too fast, and there is not enough $$$ behind to push their ideas enough... in any case wind/solar is more expensive as it is, and wind is not without it's own minor issues either...
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

not that you can put nuclear into cars, but perhaps we can make more of the transport/all other power electrical, with the nuclear backbone...

bit more on the French success
                        claims that, due to their reliance on nuclear power, France's carbon emissions per kWh are less than 1/10 that of Germany and the UK, and 1/13 that of Denmark, which has no nuclear plants. Its emissions of nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide have been reduced by 70% over 20 years, even though the total power output has tripled in that time.[10] In the same Ipsos poll, 88 percent of the population believe that reducing the greenhouse effect was a major reason to continue using nuclear power.[6] French environmentalist Bruno Comby started the group Environmentalists For Nuclear Energy, and says, "If well-managed, nuclear energy is very clean, does not create polluting gases in the atmosphere, produces very little waste and does not contribute to the greenhouse effect".[11]
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                          if US as worlds biggest economy was following the French exmple, a lot of the current issues both in foreign policy, and the environment would be easily averted...
                          Not really, we mine our own coal. Our problem is with oil used in transportation, not grid power.
                          APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            Did you hear about the planned-attempt to tap into the power of the Gulf Stream off of Florida by putting turbines at the bottom of the sea? The problem with it I see is that, at least initially, they appear to be copying the design of wind turbines and putting them underwater. I think that the water pressure will prove to much for those thin blades and that they should go to helix-shaped blades instead. But we shall see.
                            Isn't there a distinct possibility that the flood of cold water from melting glaciers up north (due to global warming) will short-circuit the Gulf Stream? I know it happened at the end of the last ice age. Of course, if that happens an obsolete power plant or two is the least of our worries, but still...
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
                              Not really, we mine our own coal. Our problem is with oil used in transportation, not grid power.
                              going by this

which shows that you "have to" use about 28% of all energy use from oil, for transportation, while in reality Oil is about 40% of all energy use in US... and coal/gas all that can be relatively easily replaced by nuclear has the bulk of the rest, so that nuclear is only about 10% of the total, with renewable sources adding a few % points on top...

reliance on nuclear would off course kill the whole Kyoto/environmental issues, but also you would cut the oil reliance in half roughly (I as sure that a good % of transportation can be made electrical as well, like trains for example... to put transport a few % points into electric sources ) so you could relatively easily cut from current 20bn barrels a day almost 10bn by going nuclear, and electrical in transportation where feasible... and you already produce about 6bn per day - .you could cut the imports by 2/3rds - foreign policy would be reigned in as I am sure you could get the rest easily from Canada/Venezuela.. and cut the dependence on ME and "volatile" states completely...

but off course this is not the current trend in US, only a viable scenario...

Comment

Nuclear power is the most expensive form of power ever invented, the French chose it back in the 70's as their national power source because at that time Wind and Solar were still hugely expensive. Now Wind is so cheap its within striking distance of Coal and Solar is half what Nuclear cost. Thus their is no intelligent reason to go Nuclear now. The same money spent now on Nuclear would provide less power then the same money spent on Wind and Solar power. Night time power consumption could be satisfied by storing Solar/Wind power or use of Geothermal which has been ignored far too long.
                                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X