Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Best Thought You Learned in School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Best Thought You Learned in School?

I was talking to a component engineer today about this point.

For me, it came in one of my first classes, "Principles of Management".
    What the instructor said was, "There's a difference in efficient and effective. Efficient is doing the right thing. Effective is doing the right thing at the right time".
    That's a key point for me, being a professional planner.
    I think it relates to all of one's life though, no matter the job, and not just professionally, but personally.

What have you learned?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.

Not philosophical, but there you go.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

fish are friends, not food.

Comment

"ask the right questions."
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"Every man is my superior in some way. And from that, I learn." ... Henry David Thoreau.

Comment

Cheap will bite you in the ass.

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.

Not philosophical, but there you go.
              Is this a quote from SICP?

Comment

People will tell you its more important to be true to yourself than cheap and popular but they're lying.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Spec, that's cool, my dad always says, "cheap is the most expensive thing at the end." Quite often true. Meaning spend where you need to spend, don't spend on things you don't need. But when there's a need, quality first.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    Spec, that's cool, my dad always says, "cheap is the most expensive thing at the end." Quite often true. Meaning spend where you need to spend, don't spend on things you don't need. But when there's a need, quality first.
                    Thats exactly what it means. And while working on cars a lot, I learned that the hard way when I was in my teens.

Its my dad that thought me this also.

Spec.
                    Last edited by Spec; January 15, 2008, 15:48.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

Comment

"Don't be a smartass."
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

It's a good lesson as well. You know I've gone against that few times lately and every single time I've thought to myself at the end, "****! I know better than this!"

Learn it the hard way sometimes I do, even now. I'll teach it to my son as well. It's a pretty damn good thing to understand. It's like buy low sell high, but very few people actually do that... so better get that into your head, because it's true and it'll save your money and mental health
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Is this a quote from SICP?
                            Originally, yes.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"It's fun to be an ass-hole" - Perf's crazy-ass scicnce studies prof
                              APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                              X