X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least 19 bald eagles die in Alaska

This sucks.

Sat Jan 12, 12:16 AM ET

KODIAK, Alaska - At least 19 bald eagles died Friday after gorging themselves on a truck full of fish waste outside a processing plant.

Fifty or more eagles swarmed into the truck, whose retractable fabric cover was open, after the truck was moved outside the plant, said Brandon Saito, a biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who coordinated the recovery operation.

The birds became too soiled to fly or clean themselves, and with temperatures in the mid-teens, began to succumb to the cold. Some birds became so weak they sank into the fish slime and were crushed.

The truck's contents had to be dumped onto the floor of the Ocean Beauty Seafoods plant so the birds could be retrieved. Some tried to scatter, but since they couldn't fly, wildlife officers soon retrieved them. The eagles were then cleaned with dish soap in tubs of warm water to remove the oily slime and warm them.

The survivors were taken to a heated fish and wildlife warehouse to recover, though some were in critical condition. Saito said they would be released as soon as they were dry and strong enough.

The dead birds will be shipped to a U.S. Department of Interior clearinghouse, where Native American groups could apply to be given the birds or their feathers for ceremonial purposes.

Requests for interviews from Ocean Beauty officials were not returned.

Commercial fishing is the main industry in Kodiak, a city of about 6,000 on Kodiak Island on the south coast of Alaska.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

That's a pretty fishy story Slowww.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Fishy yes, pretty
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Have you quite finished with your puns? I don't think I cod take any more of them!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

That rocky perch is about to get owned by that eagle.

Comment

That's a fine looking animal right there
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                That rocky perch is about to get owned by that eagle.

Comment

It's obviously an al-Quaida plot to attack the great symbol of the US. Have Homeland Security been informed?
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I don't know. Has they?

Comment

I saw quite a few bald eagles when I vacationed in Alaska several years ago. Absolutely magnificent looking animals. They have a surprising weak-ass call, though; sounds much a much smaller, much pussier bird.

While there, I visited a rehab center for birds of prey, in Sitka. Bald eagles, golden eagles, hawks, falcons, owls... probably my favorite part of the trip. If any of you get the chance to visit Alaska, don't hesitate. I'd go back in a second.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

error, ignore this post.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          I don't know. Has they?
                          You're closer to them than I am...
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            I don't know. Has they?
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                              I visited a rehab center for birds of prey
                              Was it full of junkie peregrine falcons and coke-snorting tawny owls?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X