Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TED talk: Does Education Kill Creativity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VetLegion
    So what separetes a drone from someone who is not a drone?
    Oh and read the book: “I’m ok, you’re a drone.”
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Is there anyone here familiar enough with the social history of western civilization to imagine what life would be like without universal public education? If the liberal republics had not embraced the idea then the people's democracies which would have inevitably ensued and in which we would probably all be living in would have.

Looking at the quotes in OzzyKP's post I note that the majority of the people quoted would have been educated in the 19th or early 20th centuries. Life for a child was much different then. The concept of spanking as a means of coropral punishment was introduced by liberal educators in the early 20th century. It replace the use of fists and rods soemtimes rivalling Louisville sluggers as means of instruction.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

I didn't watch this one but I wouldn't agree that traditional education can kill creativity, curiosity and whatnot. If that were true all of us who are products of such schooling would be mindless drones incapable of doing anything interesting. Not so!
        How is it true that if education CAN kill creativity, ALL of us would be mindless drones?

Comment

Well if you were a creative thinker you could see how my sentence makes sense. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            Looking at the quotes in OzzyKP's post I note that the majority of the people quoted would have been educated in the 19th or early 20th centuries. Life for a child was much different then. The concept of spanking as a means of coropral punishment was introduced by liberal educators in the early 20th century. It replace the use of fists and rods soemtimes rivalling Louisville sluggers as means of instruction.
            People educated in the late 20th century or early 21st century aren't famous yet.

Except me of course, but you guys don't listen to me as much as I'd like.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't feel like school ruins my creativity, but that may be because I study philosophy.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The education system WAS good, but times have changed, difference is accepted and now needs to be strongly supported by the government.

The more varied we are, the higher the chance we discover something new.

And TED I have watched all videos, some of them are very interesting, some are kind of silly, a lot of it controversial, and I guess that is why a lot of people tend to get into disagreements with what they say.

My fav's: Clinton speech on Rwanda, or whatever the country was, the Bonobo (additional proof of evolution, not that we need it), Suburbia, and the one I watched yesterday was also very interesting, it gave me a different view on Slums and the birth if cities, unfortunately, TEDS one doesn't go into depths on that one, I will try to find the google video of it.
                be free

Comment

Education can kill creativity, it can also foster it (good teachers certainly do), and even unintentionally foster it (dull days in class causing the mind to wander, rebelling against the system, that sort of thing).

It's all about how it's carried out and the nature of the pupil..

Comment

Here we are, 1 hour long, not a bad watch.

be free

Comment

Working...
                    X