College Drinking Games Lead to Higher Blood Alcohol Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Drinking Games Lead to Higher Blood Alcohol Levels

There are other groundbreaking findings, including that women drink more heavily than men at themed parties. Important information for some Polytubbies.

College Drinking Games Lead to Higher Blood Alcohol Levels

Sunday, January 6, 2008; 12:00 AM

SUNDAY, Jan. 6 (HealthDay News) -- The first on-the-scene study of college drinking behavior shows that parties with drinking games result in higher blood alcohol levels, while themed parties encourage college women to drink more heavily than men, new research suggests.

Previous studies of college drinking have relied largely on individual behavior and self-reports of drinking habits. Researchers at San Diego State University and the University of Michigan have determined that environment and party activities also affect drinking behavior.

"Most studies use survey methods that require people to recall their drinking behavior -- days, weeks or months prior -- and such recall is not always accurate," corresponding author J. D. Clapp, director of the Center for Alcohol and Drug Studies and Services at San Diego State University, said in a prepared statement. "By going out into the field and doing observations and surveys, including breath tests for alcohol concentrations, we were able to mitigate many of the problems associated with recall of behavior and complex settings."

The team observed 1,304 young adults (751 men, 553 women) at 66 college parties over the course of three semesters. The parties all took place in private residences close to an urban public university in southern California. The team noted party environment, surveyed attendees and collected blood-alcohol concentrations.

The researchers found that playing drinking games, having a personal history of binge drinking, attending a party with many other intoxicated people, and attending a themed event all predicted higher blood alcohol levels. The researchers expressed surprise over the finding that women at themed events drank more heavily than their male peers.

Students who attended parties with the intention of socializing and people who attended larger parties drank less alcohol.

"From a methodological standpoint, our study illustrates that is possible and important to examine drinking behavior in real-world settings," Clapp said. "It is more difficult than doing Web surveys and the like but provides a much richer data set. Secondly, environmental factors are important. Much of the current research on drinking behavior focuses on individual characteristics and ignores contextual factors. Yet both are important to our understanding of drinking behavior and problems."

The team plans to expand its research to other environments, including bars.

The study was published in the January issue ofAlcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I purposely lose at drinking games so that I get to drink more.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I am surprised that women drink more than men at themed parties. In every occasion I have known, men drink more than women.. and when I drank heavily I drank more than any woman I knew.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

drinking games
        i purposely win, but i still get drunk the fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          I purposely lose at drinking games so that I get to drink more.
          QFMFT!
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Really??? College drinking games lead to HIGHER blood alcohol levels???

Otherwise known as...NO ****! That's the point of playing them!!
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, if you really wanted to get drunk, no need to do a drinking game. Just drink more.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                Really??? College drinking games lead to HIGHER blood alcohol levels???

Otherwise known as...NO ****! That's the point of playing them!!
                I was wondering when someone was going to point out the obvious!

Well, if you really wanted to get drunk, no need to do a drinking game. Just drink more.
                I'll drink to that!

Comment

Working...
                X