X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wide Pants -- Stickin' it to The Man

Just watched Letterman's union-sanctioned return. Good show. Observations:

-Dave has a full beard now!
    -Dave supports Hillary (she had a quick video intro/welcome)
    -Dave is really behind the WGA.
    ---He had striking writers from other shows on to deliver the Top 10 list.
    ---Pointed pro-union material oozed throughout the monologue etc.

Watching Craig Ferguson now. He promises to keep his usual standards of quality comedy, and to blame the WGA for every bad joke.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

A scab hirer who supports Hillary. Yeah, let me tune in.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Scab hirer? How so?
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

They weren't much in the way of strikers.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Letterman's company reached agreement with the WGA, so no scabs are involved. Other shows (Leno, Conan, Colbert, Stewart) have not but are returning anyway.

The writers have been out for 8 weeks. Other than those working for Worldwide Pants, they are still on strike.

Comment

I watched Letterman, the first 2 minutes of Fergusson, and now im watching Conan.

Letterman was great, Fergusson was enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan.

Conan is still funny without writers, but the little vignettes he does after the monologue are going to suffer, I think. Spinning a wedding ring can only stay entertaining for so many episodes.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Haven't watched yet. I like to watch Frasier reruns on Lifetime at anyways. And Cheers rerun is on at 11:30.

Daily Show and Colbert show are coming back monday as well. I didn't hear about any agreements there.

Seems kind of cheesy to bring these shows back. I don't know why they would sanction that.

I'll watch tonight, but I'm more of a Leno fan, though the writing has gotten stale lately (I still love Headlines). I'll switch back and forth.

Comment

K, so I'm watching Leno. According to the monologue they can't use writers, but Dave can as he has his own company and struck a deal.

Leno did run a monologue. Supposedly all the jokes were written himself. He stated he's only allowed to use his own jokes. Which is kind of strange as I thought Leno was part of the writer's guild.

And even without the writers Leno is still funnier than Letterman. Letterman had a good jab when he said "people write this crap?"

Comment

Leno is funnier than Letterman?!!

Jeez, Dis, any respect I may have had for you is good and dead
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can't understand how anyone can think Letterman is funny. I think the only reason he does a show is to see how dumb and unfunny something has to be before his audience stops laughing.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Letterman was Johnny Carson's choice
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Peope make mistakes sometimes.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yes, like those who choose to watch Leno.

Comment

You won't get me on that one. I stopped watching any late night television several months ago. Occasionally I catch a Daily Show or Colbert rerun. And I don't think we disagree about those two.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Yes, like those who choose to watch Leno.
                              QFT

Leno is painful. Jaywalking doesn't make me laugh, it makes me fear for the future of this country.

I guess I can see where those who don't remember Dave from the old days might not quite grasp the appeal. He's really toned down his act since the timeslot/network change. Watching him light up Paris Hilton was just like the old days though.
                              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X