Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

Good call, an end to the unending war... Can one hope that USA is next, once USA gets a new president?

I am a bit ambiguous about dropping the term "Islamic terrorist", since the term actually accurately describes a link between a kind of terrorism (the "we will gladly even blow up infidel kindergarten children" kind) and its ideological basis. You may argue that the Koran does not support terror, but the fact that the terrorists themselves think so is enough to justify the term. But I suppose there is some value in not putting more fuel on the fire than necessary by avoiding pointing out the fact.

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.

The words "war on terror" will no longer be used by the British government to describe attacks on the public, the country's chief prosecutor said Dec. 27.

Sir Ken Macdonald said terrorist fanatics were not soldiers fighting a war but simply members of an aimless "death cult."

The Director of Public Prosecutions said: 'We resist the language of warfare, and I think the government has moved on this. It no longer uses this sort of language."

London is not a battlefield, he said.

"The people who were murdered on July 7 were not the victims of war. The men who killed them were not soldiers," Macdonald said. "They were fantasists, narcissists, murderers and criminals and need to be responded to in that way."

His remarks signal a change in emphasis across Whitehall, where the "war on terror" language has officially been ditched.

Officials were concerned it could act as a recruiting tool for Al Qaeda, which is determined to manufacture a battle between Islam and the West.

The term "Islamic terrorist" will also no longer be used. Officials believe it is unhelpful because it appears to directly link the religion to terrorist atrocities.

In an interview with BBC Radio's World at One, Macdonald made a fresh attack on plans to extend beyond 28 days the length of time a terror suspect can be held without trial.

He said that the evidence had shown that the existing limit was working well and he accused ministers of legislating on the basis of 'hypotheticals'.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

This is very good, the whole concept of WoT was, and still is quite, quite stupid.

Comment

Re: Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

The people who were murdered on July 7 were not the victims of war
      what does this mean about any benefits their families (of civilians or police officers, etc) got / are entitled to?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

So the British military presence in Afghanistan is now killing Afghans for old times sake?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          So the British military presence in Afghanistan is now killing Afghans for old times sake?
          Well duh. Get with the program.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            No, it’s just a jolly good old-fashioned colonial war now.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

London is not a battlefield
              Love on the other hand is a battlefield
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Re: Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

Originally posted by Thue
                Good call, an end to the unending war... Can one hope that USA is next, once USA gets a new president?

I am a bit ambiguous about dropping the term "Islamic terrorist", since the term actually accurately describes a link between a kind of terrorism (the "we will gladly even blow up infidel kindergarten children" kind) and its ideological basis. You may argue that the Koran does not support terror, but the fact that the terrorists themselves think so is enough to justify the term. But I suppose there is some value in not putting more fuel on the fire than necessary by avoiding pointing out the fact.

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.

How many times can one person flip in any given tirade?

"Drop the verbage, but it really is, but we don't want them to know that we know that it is, yada yada, bluster...."

A definite maybe, huh?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
                  This is very good, the whole concept of WoT was, and still is quite, quite stupid.
                  ...or quite cunning.

George Bush wanted to attach Iraq....but he knew Iraq hadn't attacked us and posed no threat. But they did send minimal financial support to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers who attacked Israel.

So, rather than declaring war on al Qaeda, Bush declared war on terrorism. Thus, he could correctly claim: "We were attacked by terrorists. Iraq supports terrorists."

Most Americans were not savvy enough to distringuish between al Qaeda jihadists and Palestinian suicide bombers. So by the time of our invasion of Iraq, 80% of Americans believed Iraq was behind the 9-11 attacks.

Comment

I just wanted Hussein gone. All this other is a waste of life, money, time and effort.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Re: Re: Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

Originally posted by MarkG
                      what does this mean about any benefits their families (of civilians or police officers, etc) got / are entitled to?
                      Shouldn't mean anything as the compensation was given to victims of crime and not victims of terrorism or war.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I just wanted Hussein gone. All this other is a waste of life, money, time and effort.
                        A little bit like Iraq now, wouldn't you say?
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

What did I say? You're correcting me, how? That's exactly what I said.
                          Last edited by SlowwHand; January 1, 2008, 22:33.

Comment

British surrender in another war They're going to turn into France soon ...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Britain Drops 'War on Terror' Label

Originally posted by Dauphin
                              Shouldn't mean anything as the compensation was given to victims of crime and not victims of terrorism or war.
                              ok
                              i was asking cause in greece we have laws for victims of terrorism...
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X