Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So it's illegal to download music to your computer from CD's you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it's illegal to download music to your computer from CD's you own?

Despite more than 20,000 lawsuits filed against music fans in the years since they started finding free tunes online rather than buying CDs from record companies, the recording industry has utterly failed to halt the decline of the record album or the rise of digital music sharing.

If there is a modern version of satan, the RIAA is it.

I was having an argument with my brother on christmas about this. He thinks it's okay to share music between friends. His reasoning was you could do it with cassette tapes, so mp3 files should be allowed. But it was never legal with cassette tapes.

if you own the CD its legal to dl to your computer

Comment

RIAA bribed Congress into getting fair use out of the things you buy years ago. Now you have to buy every copy you use instead of getting fair use out of what you already own.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and the RIAA gives me reason to never buy another CD

Comment

gee, I wonder when these a-holes will sue people for humming songs

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
            gee, I wonder when these a-holes will sue people for humming songs
            If pressed I'm sure they'd say it's within their rights to do so.

Comment

In germany the GEMA used a trick to make it in many caseys quasi illegal.

Since copying (and distributing to close friends/family) the content of CDs in germany is legal (that´s why we pay royalties on CD burners and CD rawlings) many labels added copy protection into their CDs.

Now the argument of the GEMA goes, that, while copying the content is legal, breaking copy protection mechanisms is illegal and therefore copying the content of any music CD that is protected in such a way is illegal.

The introduction of these copy protecton mechanisms has however in many cases altered the capabilities in a way, that they often cannot be played on every CD player anymore (especially CD players on PCs have their problems) and they thus don´t adhere to the red book standard anymore and normally shouldn´t be allowed to be called CDs.

But de facto I haven´t heard of any lawsuit against people who downloaded songs on their HDD after breaking the copy protection mechanism till now.

Well, the last 2 paragraphs say about evrything. The RIAA alienated the customers with their actions against filesharing networks which worsened their problems as many customers now bought even less of their CDs or developing a preference for inependent labels.
              But instead of admitting that they definitely ****ed up with their actions the RIAA just tries to milk those scapegoats to a greater extent that it picks out from its customers for real or purposed violations of the copyright laws.
              One could say that those scapegoats are made to pay up for the losses of revenue that the RIAA encounters. Well, maybe some day in the near or far future the RIAA won´t sell CDs anymore, but just make money by sueing people
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

If pressed I'm sure they'd say it's within their rights to do so.
                Until Republicans in Congress voted to **** over the people the SCotUS had ruled that it was a person's right to make a reasonable number of copies for personal use provided they had already paid once for the stuff. It was called fair use.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

When you buy a blank music CD, RIAA gets some $$$.
                  Exactly the reason their case doesn't hold water.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    Until Republicans in Congress voted to **** over the people the SCotUS had ruled that it was a person's right to make a reasonable number of copies for personal use provided they had already paid once for the stuff. It was called fair use.
                    The Democrats carry as much blame in this, Oerdin. They are every bit as big of corporate shills as the GOP. Clinton signed that puppy into law. Democrats voted for it. Your two parties are two turds on the ass of the same corporate pig.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Copyright law needs to be brought back to sanity. This is BS.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                      X