Ex Police chief indicted for manslaghter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Police chief indicted for manslaghter

No, this is not the LAPD. Humboldt County is now in competition with them for police brutality.

I've long since left Humboldt, but the news from there facinates me. With six killings in 2 years , people have started wondering about the cops.

Ex Chief David Douglas is [url=http://www.times-standard.com/ci_7749311] charged with involuntary manslaughter. That's crininal neglegence that results in a death.

City could face hefty bill for Douglas' defense

EUREKA -- If the City Council decides to pick up the bill for former Police Chief David Douglas' legal costs, one former prosecutor estimates it could reach the $1 million mark for the city's already-pinched general fund budget.

The Humboldt County District Attorney's Office announced last week that a criminal grand jury convened to look into the 2006 shooting death of Cheri Lyn Moore indicted Douglas and Eureka police Lt. Tony Zanotti on charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Legal experts said the indictments might be a first, as they target the incident's commanding officers rather than those who shot Moore.

As Zanotti's and Douglas' legal teams ready to review transcripts of the grand jury proceedings, questions are swirling about who's going to pick up the tab.

Moore, who had a history of mental illness, was shot by Eureka police officers in her apartment at Fifth and G streets after a two-hour standoff in which she brandished a flare gun, threw items from her apartment and threatened to burn the building down.

Police have said they believed Moore had put down the flare gun when the decision was made to storm her apartment. When officers came face to face with Moore and a flare gun pointed at them, they shot her multiple times.
    Zanotti, who is being represented by Redwood City attorney William Rapoport, is covered by the Peace Officers Research Association of California Legal Defense Fund, which covers most EPD officers. The extent of that coverage isn't exactly clear.

Rapoport confirmed Monday that he was being paid by the legal fund “so far,” but declined to elaborate. He said there is no telling what his final bill might be, as the case could be thrown out in the coming weeks or end in a lengthy trial.

The case of who is covering Douglas, represented by local attorney Bill Bragg and the Santa Ana firm of Ferguson, Praet and Sherman, is a bit more complicated.

Councilman Jeff Leonard said the shooting of Moore occurred at a time when Douglas was not covered by the association's legal fund, leaving it unclear who will pick up the bill.

Bragg said Monday that he was under the impression the city of Eureka “has accepted the responsibility to pay for Mr. Douglas' defense.” But, Eureka City Manager David Tyson indicated it was not a done deal.

Tyson said in civil suits, the city is obligated to pick up the bills for legal defense funds, which are paid through the city's insurance carriers. Criminal matters, like the case of Zanotti and Douglas, are different, Tyson said, and the council has the choice of whether to cover the costs.

”I think it's a choice because the council, not just our council but any council or board of supervisors, would want to have the opportunity in a criminal matter to hear at least some of the facts and make an informed decision on whether they want to provide a defense,” Tyson said.

The determination the council will likely have to make, Tyson said, is whether Douglas was acting within the boundaries of his position as police chief. Tyson said the city has no insurance carrier for criminal cases, and any money it offers for Douglas' defense would come directly out of the city's general fund.

City Attorney Sheryl Schaffner said any discussions regarding funding Douglas' defense would be held in closed session, and would not be made public until a final decision is made by the council. The council has a closed session agenda item at Thursday's meeting about Douglas' case.

If the council did decide to pick up Douglas' tab, Schaffner said a budget adjustment would be in order to ensure the funds were available.

And that could be a hefty sum, said local attorney Jeffrey Schwartz, a former prosecutor in the district attorney's office.

Schwartz said an attorney of Bragg's caliber probably demands between $300 and $400 an hour for criminal defense, and estimated Douglas' defense team would put in at least 2,000 hours on the case, assuming it goes to trial. On the low side, that comes out to $600,000. But, Schwartz said that is far from the total.

In addition to straight attorney fees, Schwartz said, in a case like this especially, the defense is going to need experts, and lots of them. Not only do each of the experts command fees, Schwartz said, but there are also the travel, hotel and meal expenses associated with attorneys traveling the country to speak with them.

”I'd say, minimally between both (fees for attorneys and experts), you're talking a million bucks easy,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz also said it is likely, once news of the indictments hits the wires and is widely disseminated, police chiefs and departments around the country will start up a defense fund, fearing a guilty verdict could set a precedent for tactical situation police commanders across the country.

Officers at a Dec. 10 court hearing, where Zanotti and Douglas appeared before a judge for the first time, said no such fund was in the works. An arraignment, where the officers will enter pleas, is set for Feb. 21.

Politically motivated lawsuits.

That this will be thrown out in short order.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This is a criminal trial, Oerdin.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Politically motivated?

So tell me how does a police department become so unpopular with a large enough sector of a city (at least a large minority) that it becomes politically advantageous, especially when the rich, through campaign contributions have a disproportionate influnce on city politics? Especially when the city council and the mayor are considerably richer than the average Eurekan? Please explain that Oerdin.

Do you think the DA is looking for higher office? If he's running for congress or state atty genereal, he's going have quite a challenge convincing voters though the Congressional District or state why he indicted a chief of police, just where is the political benefit?

A DA, any DA is going to be put in a very difficult situation here, police are normally his allies, a strained relationship is going to occur, he was doing this knowing that there were going to be parts of his job made harder.

Eureka is now under a microscope, as the next killing caused the Republican governor to investigate the police, I doubt the DA is going to do anything that could get him in trouble, malicious prosecution is a crime

The DA, any DA is in a very difficult position when he does this. He relies on the police as allies. As tight as cops are with each other, it's going to make his job harder.

Tell me Oerdin, how could anyone intellgent enough to:
        1) Get a law degree
        2) Win a county wide elction for DA

Believe he could gain any political capital by wrongfully prosecuting a retired chief of police?

Comment

DP
          Last edited by realpolitic; December 29, 2007, 19:43.

Comment

Oerdin, where are you hiding?

I apologise, I realise how scared by logic you are.

Just keep shouting out your soundbytes, and I'm sure some people will be convinced of your righteousness. Some people will believe anything, over 20% of Americans still approve of Bush.

As for the rest of us, every time we search for "taser" on youtube, we bring up plenty of examples of excess force.

I guess you weren't in class when the teacher said the constitution was created to prevent excesses in power.

I guess you were asleep when the news stories that Bush had consistantly violated the constitution.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Comment

This reminds me of a crime book I read once.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Some of us work for a living and don't have as much time to post as you unemployed people the free time I have I prefer to spend with my friends including a rather hot Czech chick who I will be spending the evening with.

Yes, this is politically motivated and worst case he'll win on appeal even if a local jury does convict him in anti-government NorCal. As for me supposedly being a Bush supporter. Go and ask anyone if they think I'm not one of the most vocal critics of Republican policies in general and Bush in specific. I'm off to get ready for my New Year's eve night out.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                X