X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas in India

A thread for aneeshm

Bla bla bla fundie Hinduists burn churches, christians flee

POLICE reinforcements were rushed to the Indian state of Orissa yesterday after Hindu mobs burned down 15 Christian churches in the worst outbreak of religious violence in the areasince Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons were burned to death eight years ago.

"The situation is desperate and there is fear and anxiety among Christians," the Reverend Raphael Cheenath, Archbishop of Bhubaneshwar, the state capital, told reporters.

A report in the respected newspaper The Hindu described the situation in the worst affected areas as "a virtual war zone".

As curfews were imposed in those areas, the state's Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik, made an urgent appeal for calm.

A former close associate of Mr Staines was quoted as saying that the violence showed "the same hatred and trouble is brewing again".

Most of the violence took place in the Kandhamal district 250km west of the capital, after members of the state's 800,000-strong Christian community tried to put up a decorative Christmas arch.

About the same time there was an as yet unexplained attack on a leader of the Vishwa Hindu Parisha, which has been leading a campaign against conversions to Christianity in the state, and clashes immediately erupted across a large part of the district, with Catholic as well as Baptist and Pentecostal churches coming under attack.

"Some fundamentalists forcefully removed a Christian welcome arch," Archbishop Cheenath said. "This was followed by heated arguments.

"Within minutes, a group of people with sticks and knives pounced on the group making preparations for Christmas."

Soon, according to local reporters, 15 shops had been looted and burned and Christian churches were under attack from a mob screaming "death to all Christians".

Priests and Christian worshippers were bashed, and there was an unconfirmed report of one death.

Orissa director-general of police Gopal Nath said armed police were being rushed to the area. "The situation is tense but we are trying to get back in control," he said.

At a time when millions across India - members of the dominant Hindu religion as well as adherents of Christian and other minority faiths - have been celebrating Christmas, the outbreak of violence in Orissa is embarrassing to the strongly secularist Government in New Delhi.

The state of Orissa remains a hotbed of anti-Christian and anti-conversion ferment eight years after Mr Staines and his two sons, Philip and Timothy, were burnt to death in their station wagon in an atrocity by religious extremists that remains seared in Indian consciousness as one of the worst acts of bigotry in the country's history.

One of Mr Staines's former co-workers in Orissa, Subhankar Ghosh, told Indian newspapers "the current incidents in Orissa bring back the horrific memories of 1999" when the Australian missionary and his sons were killed.

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Sometimes we humans forget that we turn to religion to find peace and serenity.

Comment

Hindu Memetovirus
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Comment

Now let's remember:

When a wacked out Nigerian Christian sect does something like this, it shows how backward Christianity is.

This, however, is an isolated incident, is no reflection in Hinduism, can easily be traced to a legacy of British imperialism, and is ultimately the fault of Muslims.

[/aneeshm]

Just in case he doesn't show up.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

We must remember that Hinduism is a religion of peace.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

bump for Aneesh.

Comment

Withholding judgement until the source of the attack on the VHP guy is confirmed.

The state of Orissa remains a hotbed of anti-Christian and anti-conversion ferment eight years after Mr Staines and his two sons, Philip and Timothy, were burnt to death in their station wagon in an atrocity by religious extremists that remains seared in Indian consciousness as one of the worst acts of bigotry in the country's history.
                Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

If this author had ANY idea at all what the history of the country is like (EVEN if we consider only the last century), he'd shut his trap very, very fast, and never open it again.

Comment

He'd better study the origins of teh Hindu civilization.

Comment

From a distance...
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Where does this "origins of Hindu civilization" thing come from? I've missed it

Comment

Well, it's easy to miss'em
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

The whole thing is based on a short story about something or other.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Dirty Hindjews disrespecting the name of 8 pound, 6 ounce baby Jesus.

Comment

I say the Vatican should dispatch its legions of Swiss Pikemen to the rescue! Indian Elephants stand no chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X