Doctor Who Christmas Special 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who Christmas Special 2007

So, did you watch it?? I thought it was pretty good, not great though. Certainly not the greatest episode yet as some silly bugger wrote in the british press. Somehow it felt like I've seen it all before (which is something I haven't felt since the new show started).

Spoiler:
    The Host is just a boring mix between the Ood and the Weeping Angels (looking just like the WA to boot...)

And wtf is up with

Spoiler:
    Starship Titanic??? I mean, come on... It would've been funnier if it was the actual RMS Titanic...

Kylies much talked about part wasn't all that great either IMO, too generic Doctor Who female for my taste... Clive Swift did an excellent job as Mr Copper though

As a forgettable appetizer for the next season it works well however
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

It was okay. I think a bit more enjoyable than the past xmas specials.

Spoiler:

Completely right about The Host. Not as scary as the Weeping Angels, not as neat as the Ood. The "historians" misconceptions about Earth were a bit amusing, especially about the annual war with Turkey where we then eat the losers. Totally unmoved by Kylie's predictable death, though I'm glad they didn't completely cheat and succeed with the bring-her-back-with-the-transporter trick. I felt more when the fat lady lassoed the robot-angel and jumped to her death.

Grief makes you do odd things.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Was it shown in the US?
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Not sure. BBC America shows Doctor Who, but AFAIK they haven't aired season 3 yet.

So, probably not...

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
          It was okay. I think a bit more enjoyable than the past xmas specials.

Spoiler:

Completely right about The Host. Not as scary as the Weeping Angels, not as neat as the Ood. The "historians" misconceptions about Earth were a bit amusing, especially about the annual war with Turkey where we then eat the losers. Totally unmoved by Kylie's predictable death, though I'm glad they didn't completely cheat and succeed with the bring-her-back-with-the-transporter trick. I felt more when the fat lady lassoed the robot-angel and jumped to her death.

Grief makes you do odd things.
          For me this was one of the least satisfying episodes in the new series. The only character that I got any sort of connection with was Mr Copper. The other characters were just two dimensional cut-outs moving around aimlessly...

Spoiler:
          And David Tennants whole "fall-in-love-with-women-and-then-lose-them" routine is getting really old now. Yes, we know you're lonely and that you are the last Timelord (?) and all that... Get over it for ****s sake!! Or at least take it in the stride like your fourth incarnation did! He lost 5 companions IIRC, but he didn't mope around looking like a sad puppy...

Comment

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Program can be viewed at any time but only to those people with ISPs in the UK. Surely there is a way around this?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Program can be viewed at any time but only to those people with ISPs in the UK. Surely there is a way around this?
              Use a proxy server to mask your IP, making it seem like you're in Britain. Or just download it. It's all over the net...

Comment

Of course if one wanted to just watch the show without bothering with the official BBC site then they'd just have to go to stage6.com. I believe /Doctor-Who--Voyage-of-The-Damned is the second part of the URL you'd need.

Comment

They are discussing this new Dr Who Xmas Special over at Alluc. http://board.alluc.org/viewtopic.php?id=32344

Comment

Oerdin - Your PM box is full...
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I emptied it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

Use a proxy server to mask your IP, making it seem like you're in Britain. Or just download it. It's all over the net...
                        Oh, I would never download anything.

(I was trying to suggest a legal alternative. )

Comment

I'm not so sure about the legality of stage6...

Comment

They killed of Kylie Bastards
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

I thought it was stronger than the previous 2 specials, but some way below the best episodes from each season proper.

Comment

Working...
                              X