No announcement yet.

Christmas: After Action Report!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bottle of Glenmorangie Madeira Finish, a 3/4 l Leffe Brown, some chocolate, comics (svikmøllen for connaiseurs) and four cactuses from my "sweet" sister - she thinks that I'm not able to keep normal plants alive - don't know where she has that idea from .
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I was expecting a "what you did" thread, rather than a "what you got".

On christmas eve my GF was working later than originally expected so I phoned my sister and said that we wouldn't be driving down to Brighton that night as planned, but on Christmas morning instead. Also there was a fatal accident on the motorway near Gatwick airport which had blocked the traffic, and had seen people abandon their cars and run for their plane - leading to even worse problems.

So instead my GF and I were free to take a walk on Christmas Eve round the cosy victorian atmosphere of Highgate village, stopping for a couple of drinks in the warm, charming 'Flask' pub, where they offered free mince pies, before walking back down the hill via Highgate cemetery, with its eerie gothic mystique. Once home, we watched part 1 of 'Hogfather' - which wouldn't have been possible had we joined the family that night (TV is banned).

On christmas day the roads were clear but wet for the drive, and once we arrived there was much food, drink and gifting. I drank waaay too much sparkling wine and had a heartburn hangover on boxing day.

Now I need to get the Hogfather DVD so we can watch part 2 while the season is still with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
        a Flying Spaghetti Monster shirt.

a Flying Spaghetti Monster emblem for my car,
        :hehe: A devout, Pastafarian christmas.

Comment

Book Count: 7 + $15 B&N gift card.

Clothing and kitchen stuff as well.

A useful Christmas.

There's a Christmas ritual in my family that's held strong for as long as I've been alive. It continued this year, with the one difference being that I no longer live at home.

Christmas Eve is pretty devoid of any happenings. Christmas morning, my brother and I left our house and drove to our parents' house where we ate our traditional Christmas morning breakfast: Havarti quiche and cinnamon buns. Then we sat around talking for a bit.

In years past, presents came before breakfast as we were greedy little children. Now, the gift exchange is a more casual affair. Once again, the top item on my list - The Lego Ice Fortress Set - was nowhere to be found; I was supremely disappointed.

My dad prepared a roast for Christmas dinner, and then it was off to meet the extended family in Walkersville. There, we had another exchange of gifts in the afternoon, progressing from youngest to oldest (my father is now the oldest in the family - a thought he does not relish).

This Christmas was notable in that my cousin, a captain in the army, had returned from Iraq only a few weeks prior. He'd been there fifteen months. The family was happy and relieved at this. My mother had been writing poetry about him and the war throughout his tour and had sent it to various family members and friends, but had not sent a single piece to her sister - my cousin's mother. My mother's gift to my aunt this year was a beautifully arranged collection of that poetry. They tried to hold back tears.

After gifts came dinner. After dinner came more conversing and all that other social stuff.

Once back at home I met up with the evil bestfriend who's ruining my life and another good friend of mine (who also happens to be my first girlfriend; these two are great friends with each other, despite the evil one being partly responsible for the break up).

We hung out for awhile, watched part of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation which my roommate had downloaded and sent to our tivo box, and then went to bed - the bestfriend crashing on the couch, my other friend sleeping with me (we have an odd friendship, too).

The end.

****, why did I write all that.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

****, why did I write all that.

Cause you us!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Playful got an accident for Christmas.
              She rolled her father's truck. Totaled. Hit black ice Christmas morning.
              She had her daughter's small dog with her. When the truck came to rest, the dog jumped out a broken window, ran towards the mountains and an eagle got it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There's ice in Texas? ****.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  She had her daughter's small dog with her. When the truck came to rest, the dog jumped out a broken window, ran towards the mountains and an eagle got it.
                  Sorry, but this is freaking hilarious.

But on a more serious note, is the unborn child ok Gramps?

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Playful is in Utah right now, but yes, there's black ice in Texas.

It was her daughter's dog. Not my daughter, or her daughter, the dog.
                    I doubt you would think it funny if it happened to your pet.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I doubt you would think it funny if it happened to your pet.
                      Of course, Sloww. But you would thik its funny if it was MY dog.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If you think that, you really don't know about me at all.

Comment

Sorry, but the reason I find it funny is because it would fit so well in a movie like Ace Venture or something. I'm picturing it in my head.

No offense.

Spec.

Comment

I understand. It's very weird. Not the kind of thing that one would think likely to happen.

Comment

Playful got an accident for Christmas.
                              She rolled her father's truck. Totaled. Hit black ice Christmas morning.
                              and wtf?? in that order...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

She's pretty sore. Spent a lot of Christmas at the hospital, stayed in bed yesterday.
                                Here's the inside of the truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X