Should DC Become a State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You dont even have to amend the constitution to get around that. The Const doesnt say WHAT the borders of the federal district would be. Under statehood proposals, there would STILL be a "District of Columbia" without representation - however its borders would include the White house, the Capitol building, and the sections of Mall connecting them. The rest of present day "DC" would be part of the state of New Columbia, which would essentially comprise the residential areas. (it would surely have SOME federal depts, but then so do Maryland, Virginia, etc)

Retrocession to MD is of course the most logical option, but the Md pols made clear they didnt want that sometime ago. And if even the Md pols didnt want it, you can imagine our leaders in Richmond wont accept that gift. Hell, theyd probably undo the retrocession of Arlington and Alexandria if they could.
      Great idea - make DC a sort of "Green Zone" and give the rest to Maryland and Virginia (I for one would feel better if DC continued to border two different states). The only citizens legally residing in DC would be the First Family.

Comment

Working...
      X