X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Magazine's Person of teh Year

Happy Putin is Time Magazine's Man of teh Year

[q=BBC]Happy Putin named 'Person of the Year'
    Russian President Happy Putin has been named as Time Magazine's "Person of teh Year".

The title was awarded to Happy Putin for his "extraordinary feat of leadership" in bringing stability to Russia, said Time's managing editor.

Former US Vice President Al Gore and Harry Potter author JK Rowling were runners-up for the title.

Last year the award was given to all members of the public who had created or downloaded content on the internet.

'Not an honour'

The magazine has given out its Person of the Year award every year since 1927.

Previous recipients have included US Presidents George W Bush and Bill Clinton, and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

The title is "not an honour", but is given as "a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world - for better or for worse", according to the magazine.

Controversial recipients in the past have included Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Ayatollah Khomenei.

Happy Putin will be legally obliged to step down as Russian president next year, but is likely to become prime minister if his ally, Dmitry Medvedev, wins the presidential election in March.

Opinion polls suggest that Happy Putin is still very popular in Russia, but civil rights activists accuse him of cracking down on democratic opposition and free speech.[/q]

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

We need
      - happy putin smiley

Comment

We need an Apolyton Poster of the Year awards. I will be the sole judge. More to follow.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          We need an Asher Poster of the Year awards. I will be the sole judge. More to follow.
          Corrected
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll be sure to add OFFICIAL to my thread title as well.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This is a joke, right?

What the hell did he do of any significance?

If anything, Al gore should have won it.

Comment

Russian's recent success is due entirely to oil prices which Putin did not create, and his "stabilization of Russia" has been a slow decade long process (if you agree with it or not). I can certainly agree the mans been hugely influential in totality but 2007 has certainly not been some kind of blow-out year for him. Like wise Rollings has been riding a decade long phenomenon which has largely begun to ebb. Only Gore can be said to be having a super blow out year, in no other time in his life has he gotten such unmitigatedly good press or been in the public eye in such a positive light.

Of course after last years TOTAL AND COMPLETE SHARK JUMP this is a marked improvement.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Happy Putin!

We need a :happyputin: smiley!

PS Impaler has a very valid point, Putins influence on 2007 wasn't spetacular.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                    Russian's recent success is due entirely to oil prices
                    LIE.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

LIE.

Points to Serb for recognizing that Putin's systematic slaughter of journalists who dare report bad thing about Russia is also a big reason for Russia's perceived turnaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Points to Serb for recognizing that Putin's systematic slaughter of journalists who dare report bad thing about Russia is also a big reason for Russia's perceived turnaround.
                        Another lie.

Comment

"Time Magazine's Person of teh Year"

I thought it was going to be Hitler again.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Hey, at least it's not Bush again

Comment

Bush, Putin, Hitler...I'm seeing a trend?

Comment

Working...
                              X