British India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British India

I'm wondering what current-day Indians, Pakistanis, etc. think of the British influence on their culture and of the British colonial era. Is it a good thing, a bad thing, a good and bad thing, a banana thing, just what?

Enlighten me.

A good and bad thing
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

And you could even expand on that thought, if you'd like...

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        You live in the states right? How much time would you want to devote to explaining the good and bad influence of the UK on the US? It's complicated. Unless you're in a camp that has a strong opinion about it youre just going to say "A good and bad thing" and want to leave it at that.

Comment

Aneesh will certainly be able to expand on the bad things.

On the good side, the language and the democracy for starters. The main thing, though, is cricket.

Comment

And tea .

Before the Brits, tea production wasn't that great in India.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Tea?? Bah, that's the stuff we use to line to bottom of our harbors.

Comment

Haven't we had this thread recently?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

British India

On the whole, it's probably somewhat more of a success than Indian Britain.

Comment

Tea?? Bah, that's the stuff we use to line to bottom of our harbors.
                    But then where would get stuff to line the bottom of our habors without tea?!!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      British India

I dunno, a lot of Indians are very successful.

Comment

Indian comedian to a British audience:

Many of you think we Indians have come here to Britain to steal your jobs. This is untrue! --We can stay home and do that.

Comment

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                            British India

Oh, I don't know. I good share of the new listings on the London Stock Exchange have been from India lately. That's helped power it back to the number one spot among world financial centers. In 2003 or 2004 it once again passed for the first time since 1917 or something like that.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

But then where would get stuff to line the bottom of our habors without tea?!!
                              Seriously. We'd have to use things like tobacco or hemp leaves!

...hmm. I wonder if water that's had some wacky weed soaking in it would have any... interesting... effects on the life aquatic?
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X