No announcement yet.

It turns out worms are happy in turds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It turns out worms are happy in turds.

New Zealand toilet inventor flushes out worm worries
    17 hours ago

WELLINGTON (AFP) — The New Zealand inventor of a worm-driven composting toilet has flushed away concerns from bureaucrats that the system traumatised the wriggly creatures, local media reported Sunday.

Coll Bell, who built the "wormorator" as an alternative to septic tanks, was asked to get an expert's report on its mental impact on the tiger worms after an official became concerned during a site visit, the Sunday Star Times said.

"She felt that the worms were being unfairly treated, being expected to deal with human faeces, and that it could affect them in a psychological way," Bell told the newspaper.

"I said, 'Well, what do I do about that?' and she said, 'You have to have someone with the necessary qualifications to say the worms are happy'."

In Bell's invention, a colony of worms filters solids from the toilet waste and the leftover water is filtered into underground trenches.

The Auckland Regional Council's concerns went down the pan after vermiculture consultant Patricia Naidu found the worms in excellent health and breeding happily.

A council spokeswoman told the newspaper the worm worries were justified because the system was going to be used at a campground, where sewage flowed heavily for two weeks each year, with little during the rest of the year.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Cite your source please. I think you made up the story.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      Indeed. For the story to be credible it should have included some interviews with the worms.

Comment

Ehrm, don't you read your local news

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Oh, when I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about Bush and his aministration cronies.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Nobody gives a **** what you think.

Comment

People shouldn't be happy with worms in their poo.

Comment

That's not "local". That's redneck country.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Nobody gives a **** what you think.
                And nobody believes you.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I got you good. I sucked you in to pages of responses with an exaggeration on a pizza and now you can't let it go. Sucker!

Comment

Keep repeating the lie, maybe someone beside you will believe it.

You got outright angry when Spec called you on it then squirmed about providing evidence. Finally when you could squirm no more you provided a link which disproved your claim. Then someone comes along and suggests it was a troll and you were on the idea like a dog on a bone. You rode that as your "out" and I for one am not buying what you're selling.

You sir are a proven liar.

Comment

You sir are pissy because you got sucked into posting 7 pages on an obvious whopper. Now, talk about worms in **** or get out of my thread!

Comment

Look at a map to see how local Edmonton is to Toronto...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You sir are pissy because you got sucked into posting 7 pages on an obvious whopper. Now, talk about worms in **** or get out of my thread!
                          Well, pizza's (especially the big ones) is a primary source of turds, so I think that Wezil is quite on topic.

Just a minor question - how big turds do a 48" pizza produce and how many worms are nessecary to "recycle" it ?
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Look at a map to see how local Edmonton is to Toronto...
                            Asher I really recommend that you get a gene

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'm pissy b/c you aren't a big enough man to admit you got caught and I will continue to remind you of your lack of credibility at every opportunity. Get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X