Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is no one giving the Reps a chance in '08?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is no one giving the Reps a chance in '08?

December 16, 2007
    The Nation
    For Republicans, Falling in Love Is Hard to Do
    By ADAM NAGOURNEY
    HERE’S another way Republican voters tend to be different from Democratic voters: They like — no, love — their presidential candidates. Not always, of course. But from Ronald Reagan to George W. Bush to Dwight Eisenhower, Republicans voters have displayed a zeal for their candidates that Democrats could only envy.

Which is what makes this Republican presidential contest so striking. It is hard to think of another campaign when Republicans have seemed less excited about their choices. That was the unmistakable lesson of the rapid ascension in recent polls of Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, the latest in a line of Republican flavors of the month. A New York Times/CBS News poll last week found that none of the Republican candidates — not even the suddenly hot Mr. Huckabee — was viewed favorably by even half of Republican voters.

To some extent, this may be a one-year anomaly, a harsh judgment on a cast of candidates with each hobbled by some failing of character, ideology or record. It is also, no doubt, the latest sign of just how weary rank-and-file Republicans have become of their party. And several Republicans said this could change once the Republicans settle on a nominee, and particularly if the Democrats nominate Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

But what is worrying Republicans these days is that this tepid rank-and-file reception to the best the party has to offer suggests that the Republican Party is hitting a wall after dominating American politics for most of the last 35 years. Republican voters are reacting to — or rather, not reacting to — a field of presidential candidates who have defined their candidacies with familiar, even musty, Republican promises, slogans and policies.

“Our party generally has grown stale in its message and we’re not as tuned in as we once were,” said Senator Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican who sought his party’s presidential nomination in 1996 and 2000. “We’re repeating words and phrases that were from the 1980s, rather than looking ahead to 2008. We haven’t been as original and fresh in our presentation as we ought to be. We have been applying our old principles to new circumstances. The world is new.”

Richard Lowry, the editor of the conservative magazine National Review, said the field “has been less than the sum of its parts.”

“The debate among these guys has been so unedifying and so backward looking,” he said. “It’s all, ‘who did what wrong seven years ago.’ They are also not talking about the future, which is a sign of a deeper Republican malaise. The Republican Party has run out of intellectual steam and good ideas.”

This is an inverse of the way things normally are in presidential campaigns. George H. Nash, a conservative historian, said there had not been an election since 1940 — the year Republicans ultimately nominated Wendell Willkie of New York to take on Roosevelt — when the party seemed so uninspired by the field.

“It seems like there’s a broader amount of concern and a greater degree of reservation about this field than I can recall,” Mr. Nash said. “The only year that in some ways parallels this is 1940.”

President Bush was nothing short of a rock star for Republican audiences when he ran in 2000 and 2004. That really hasn’t changed, even today: 71 percent of Republican voters said in the Times/CBS News poll last week that they approved of Mr. Bush’s performance, an endorsement those Republicans coveting his job could only envy. (This compared with the 28 percent of the general public who approves of the job he is doing.)

Ronald Reagan stirred Republicans in 1980 with a charismatic presence and clear vision — his fierce anti-Soviet stance, his call for rolling back government and cutting welfare — that has continued to define conservative Republican Party policies since he left. “There was no feeling in 1980 that Republicans needed another Ike,” said Peter Robinson, a fellow at the Hoover Institute who served as a speech writer for Mr. Reagan. “There is something very unusual going on here.”

The contrast with Democrats is only accentuating the problem Republicans have. Democrats may be on the brink of making history by nominating either an African-American or woman. Their party’s contenders have been stumbling over one another in promising to change the direction the country is heading in. And the Democratic rank and file likes what it has: in the Times/CBS News survey last week, Mrs. Clinton had the highest favorability rating of all the Democratic candidates with 68 percent. By contrast, just 41 percent of Republicans said they viewed Rudolph W. Giuliani favorably — and he lead the Republicans on that score.

In past elections, Republicans have also fielded, and indeed nominated, candidates who did not inspire the troops, like Bob Dole of Kansas in 1996 and Mr. Bush’s father, when he lost in 1992 (although, Mr. Bush won in 1988 by diligently presenting himself as the third term of Reagan). But over all, Republicans have regularly found candidates that their voters could love. Democrats probably have to look back 47 years, to Kennedy, to find a candidate who really roused their troops.

The reversal this year is striking. Richard N. Bond, a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, said that after 40 years in Republican politics, he could not recall a situation where Democrats were so much more enthusiastic about their candidates.

“When you look at partisan intensity — the question of, ‘Thinking ahead, how interested are you in participating in the election of ’08?’ — there is a 17-point gap between the Republicans and the Democrats,” Mr. Bond said. “That is a monster number. It shows that the Republicans are not fired up and it’s going to take a nominee who can clearly articulate a post-Bush vision for the country.”

But should this really be surprising?

For one thing, none of these 2008 candidates is particularly identified with “movement” conservatism and isn’t trusted by conservatives who form the Republican base. Thus a big part of this campaign has been the effort by the candidates to establish — or burnish — their credentials with these voters. “There has been more frustration with them with conservatives than with the party as a whole,” said Gary L. Bauer, a leading social conservative who ran for president himself in 2000. “Many of them claim they are conservative but have inconsistencies in their previous records.”

This also explains why the Republican candidates spend so much time arguing not about the future but about the past: Mitt Romney’s changing positions on abortion; scandals that shadowed the Giuliani years as mayor, or Mr. Huckabee’s support, as governor of Arkansas, for granting state tuitions to the children of illegal immigrants.

This scrambling for ideological legitimacy has another result: they all seem to be reading from the same campaign book. They all talk about cutting taxes. They all talk about reducing the size of government and appointing “strict constructionist” judges. They all support the war in Iraq and promise to be tough on illegal immigrants. In many ways, at a time when the country — and even many Republicans — are hungry for change, this field of candidates is promising more of the same: to do just what Mr. Bush did, but only better.

“The reason why everyone does the flaw thing is because all these candidates are generically Reagan-like in their worldview,” said Grover G. Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform. “The ideologies are all settled issues. Every one of them wants to cut your taxes. Every one will give you good judges. Every one of them will let you keep your guns.”

This all could change, several Republicans said, once Republicans realize who they are running against. “I think Hillary Clinton and Senator Obama — when more is found out about his views — could create a reverse enthusiasm for our candidate,” Mr. Bauer said. “Then I do not think it will be hard to get out the Republican vote.”

It says something about the state of affairs of the Republican Party today that three weeks before the Iowa caucuses, Republicans are looking to Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama to save them.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

because they all suck.

Comment

Hey! No one asked for a summary!
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Interesting article, but I thing it's off-base in treating the GOP as a monolithically conservative party. An alternate explanation:

The big two American political parties are like parliamentary coalitions; each party is really several parties banded together. In the case of the Dems, there's basically three parties, and each party has a leading candidate that very much represents that party: Edwards for the paleo-liberals; Clinton for the neo-liberals (i.e., DLC-types); Obama for the progressives. As a result of this neat fit between party factions and candidates, the Dems are unusually happy with their choices this time around.

Just the opposite is true of the GOP. Now that Huckabee seems to have a chance, he might be seen as representing the social conservative wing of the party. But there's no real-deal leading candidate for the Forbes/Kemp/economic-libertarian wing of the party, no leading candidate for the isolationist/paleo-conservative/Buchanan wing, and no leading candidate for what I would call the George Will wing (the Tories?). (Ironically, there are a couple of good candidates for Northeastern-style GOP moderates, but there aren't enough left in the Party for that to matter.) All those wings only have compromise candidates. Hence the dissatisfaction.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

There's nothing Republicans hate more than compromise.
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Interesting read, I'd say that the economic libertarians have candidates who have support, but they also have a president who is advancing their cause now as well. It is true that they aren't getting a gutting of government spending, and bush is dumping gobs of stimulus into the economy, but without that the economy would be in the dump and their far more important positions would be in serious jeopardy.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
              Interesting read, I'd say that the economic libertarians have candidates who have support, but they also have a president who is advancing their cause now as well. It is true that they aren't getting a gutting of government spending, and bush is dumping gobs of stimulus into the economy, but without that the economy would be in the dump and their far more important positions would be in serious jeopardy.
              It ain't my party, but my understanding was that economic conservatives loathe Bush, the tax cuts not withstanding, especially because of the massive deficts he's run up.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Theres some libertarian/"paleocon" overlap here. The libertarians have other more important polices, and yea the older conservatives are unhappy.

Comment

Rufus is pretty close to the truth, although I might quibble with his identification of the members of the coalition. US presidential politics is coalition politics.

I think you'll find that there's a sliver of the party (main street pro-business) that's happy with Giuliani. Thing is, there are fewer numbers associated with that part of the coalition. The other parts of the coalition are deciding whether they are OK with him.

The Dems have certain built-in weaknesses and the GOP certain built-in strengths, so the GOP still has a chance in the general. I note that more than a third of the electorate describes itself as conservative. Despite all of the GOP's problems, this number has been increasing consistently over the last two decades.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Democrats aren't exactly creaming their jeans over any one candidate.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You didn't read the article, did you Sloww?
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Oh, and whatever helps you guys sleep at night.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I read the article. So essentially you're saying the democrats never have a reason to be excited. Swell.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Democrats aren't exactly creaming their jeans over any one candidate.
                            Well-observed, Captain Obvious. That's why we have primaries. If everybody liked the same candidate, they'd be unnecessary.

The difference is that Dem voters, unlike GOP voters, seem very excited about their own particular candidates; they just don't like the rest of the field. Thus, Edwards supporters really like Edwards, but aren't crazy about Clinton and Obama; Clinton supporters really like Clinton, but aren't crazy about Edwards and Obama; etc. That's different from the GOP field, where voters don't seem that enthusiastic even about the candidates they're supporting.

Comment

I am an Edwards supporter, but would vote Dem probably no matter what.

I would have voted for McCain of 8 years ago over Hillary though.

JM
                              Last edited by Jon Miller; December 17, 2007, 01:20.
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X