2007 was the year that saved the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 was the year that saved the world

The Middle East will soon enter a state of perpetual peace after that conference in....well, where has it taken place again? Also, global warming is basically a solved problem since yesterday, no?

Discuss ... or don't
    Blah

"Don't" is probably the better suggestion.

Comment

Nothing really significant happened in 2007.

Even the Bali conference looks like little more than photo opportunity to show the stupid people back home that they are doing "something".

You have to wonder why the conference was held in Bali, rather than somewhere that wasn't a tropical holiday destination.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

How many pols and flunkeys flew to Bali? And how many journos flew with them to parrot the press releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
          Nothing really significant happened in 2007.

Even the Bali conference looks like little more than photo opportunity to show the stupid people back home that they are doing "something".

You have to wonder why the conference was held in Bali, rather than somewhere that wasn't a tropical holiday destination.
          ??? I haven't been following the Bali conference (in fact, I don't know what it is), but it seems to me that if you're going to attempt something pointless and futile (which I gather from your tone it was), you might as well make it an excuse to have fun in the tropics.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I have a dream.

A dream where the words -

"Reduction of greenhouse gas emission emissions" or
            "Reduction of carbon dioxide emission" or
            or whatever do nothing diplo-speak those people are blathering.

Are replaced with

"Per-capita reduction of fossil fuel usage"

But this will never happen. It's still a nice dream though.
            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Annapolis was a photo event and did nothing good.
              Same goes probably for Bali.

Comment

Re: 2007 was the year that saved the world

Oh good. That takes a load off my shoulders then.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue

"Per-capita reduction of fossil fuel usage"
                  That's been Bush's phrasing since he came into office. It's stupid because any country where services are growing as a percentage of the economy, that'd be every western country, automatically passes without doing anything. Oh, and total GHG output keeps rising dramatically so the problem just gets worse.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I heard on the news last night that an agreement had been struck to include in a footnote some specific targets which aren't included in the agreement about when we should try to come to an agreement about emission standards.

We are saved!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

That's been Bush's phrasing since he came into office. It's stupid because any country where services are growing as a percentage of the economy, that'd be every western country, automatically passes without doing anything. Oh, and total GHG output keeps rising dramatically so the problem just gets worse.
                      Assuming fixed values.

I'm thinking more along the lines of percentage reductions in the 80-90% range or perhaps higher.

Remove the source of the problem and the solution will generate itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X