The end of Discworld...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nostromo
    Based on the first Discworld novel, I don't care much for his work.

But this is sad news nonetheless.
    HEATHEN!

Perhaps you should read a different discworld novel...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It took me three tries to get all the way through The Colour of Magic." Almost everything else is far better.

Comment

It's been a long time since I read the early books, but as I recall, I liked Colour of Magic more than Light Fantastic. But there are a number of later books which I liked far more.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Yes, but Year(Asimov's Death) < Year (Vesayen hearing of Asimov)...
          Right, so let's take a look at what Vesayen wrote once more:

First Isac Aasimov dies before I even knew he existed, then Douglas Adams dies.... now this .

Oh lord, why do you take all my favorite authors away from me?

Obviously when God took Asimov, he wasn't yet Vesayen's favourite author. Thus he was "taken away" from Vesayen in the same manner Homer was. Why then is the mentioned Vesayen whining?

Comment

Lets just hope that he will be able to write books till it is time for him to meet the ANTHROPOMORPHIC REPRESENTATION THAT TALKS IN CAPITALS and that there will be many years till this final day

As snoopy said, there is always hope. Maybe he will stay capable to write books till a cure for Alzheimer is found.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Maybe Vesayen likes to read authors that are alive?
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                It's been a long time since I read the early books, but as I recall, I liked Colour of Magic more than Light Fantastic. But there are a number of later books which I liked far more.
                Yeah, the first two (three, if you include Strata) were really a feeling-out phase for how the universe worked, what sort of tone he wanted, etc. Equal Rites was starting to settle in, and Mort was the first really strong one, imo. I usually recommend that people start out with Small Gods or Pyramids...they're far enough along that you get a good feel for the universe, but far enough outside the rest of the continuity that they don't spoil anything or require any knowledge of previous books.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Obviously when God took Asimov, he wasn't yet Vesayen's favourite author. Thus he was "taken away" from Vesayen in the same manner Homer was. Why then is the mentioned Vesayen whining?
                  Perhaps he's whining because it means that he'll never be able to look forward to new books from Mr. Asimov.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why the hell would you want to "look forward to new books"? The waiting time between reading one book and buying the next is the ****tiest part of reading an ongoing series.

Comment

Oh Christ. This is such a dumb argument.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Perhaps he's whining because it means that he'll never be able to look forward to new books from Mr. Asimov.
                          Correct. I read many of his books and collections of short stories, only to learn he was dead before I even had heard of him. This meant I could only enjoy what was already written, I could not look forward to future books yet unwritten.

Waiting for new books to be written is indeed unpleasent, however if the author is dead, no new books ever come.

A live author has the potential to write new books, a corpse does not.

I think I was 11 or 12 when I wrote a fan letter to Asimov about how incredible one of the foundation books were, then while trying to find his residence, discovered he had been dead for 4 or 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen

A live author has the potential to write new books, a corpse does not.
                            Somewhere, Stephen King gets an idea for his next novel.

Comment

"oooooh lamp monster! Scary!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                                Somewhere, Stephen King gets an idea for his next novel.

Comment

Working...
                                X