The end of Discworld...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of Discworld...

...and all of Pratchett's works may be sooner than we'd hope.

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet )

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Awful thing for anybody obviously, but for a guy that trades on his mind and wit and does it as well as Pratchett...
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Originally posted by Terry Pratchett
    Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet

"post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Oh no.

Life without the prospect of another Pratchett on the horizon will be a grimmer and bleaker place.

Comment

Though, I have an insane feeling that this actually could be written into the tale.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

/me cries.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The first book in English I read in its entirety was Pratchett's.

Comment

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

First Isac Aasimov dies before I even knew he existed, then Douglas Adams dies.... now this .

Oh lord, why do you take all my favorite authors away from me?

I don't care how many stem cells we need, make abortion mandatory.... we need to cure alzheimers, IMMEDIATLY.

Ladies, do your patriotic duty, get pregnant and then donate your crotch fruit to research.

It might not be too late to save disc world.

Comment

It is a cruel world, in a cold universe.

I am deeply saddened. Pratchett is my absolute favorite author. The most irreverently brilliant wit in modern satire.

Damn.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Cheer up, not his time to meet the guy who speaks in capitals just yet.
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

There have been some recent advances in the field, so there's always hope...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

'I am not dead'.
                          Shouldn't this be, "I ain't ded"

Comment

Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet
                            He's still alive so I'll wait with the sad face until he's gone. Maybe some of The Bursars dried frog pills might help?
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                              First Isac Aasimov dies before I even knew he existed, then Douglas Adams dies.... now this .

Oh lord, why do you take all my favorite authors away from me?
                              Asimov died before you even knew he existed, yet he was one of your favourite authors?

Comment

Working...
                              X