Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Computer Savvy Are You?

On a scale of one to ten.

I ask because I have been trying to put my own computer together and I have realized I have really fallen behind the curve since the last time I was really into doing things myself which was highschool, 8 years ago. Sort of humbling actually.

So how savvy are you? 1 bieng nothing, 5 being you can install/operate programs and trouble shoot them yourself for the most part, 10 being you can write your own programs a professional quality and such.
    12.50%
    4.17%
    18.75%
    20.83%
    18.75%
    6.25%
    4.17%
    6.25%
    2.08%
    4.17%
    I can program a banana, does that count???
    2.08%
    Last edited by Patroklos; December 12, 2007, 10:22.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

I'm loving the banana option but I took a three Which is bad for my age group I suppose, but computers tend to fry in my presence

Comment

Being able to program good quality software does not always equal being computer savvy. I work with software deployments on daily basis, don't really know much about coding but i am much better with OS's and HW than _most programmers i have met. I give myself 8½ on your scale.

Comment

Well, considering I am only a 4 on my scale, I really wouldn't know how to quantify the upper levels. So a gerneric 1-10 will surfice
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

4, as a guesstimate.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

For full 10 person should be fluent with multiple OS's, networking, being able work with hardware without problems and have skills to code on hardware level (drivers, modifying OS for own needs etc.). I think i need to actually drop my points . I'll stick with 8 for now.

Comment

I went ahead and said 6, but a could be a 7. At work, I'm the guy they turn too to fix problems before they try the IS department. I keep telling them "I am better than average with computers, but I'm no expert."
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                I went ahead and said 6, but a could be a 7. At work, I'm the guy they turn too to fix problems before they try the IS department. I keep telling them "I am better than average with computers, but I'm no expert."
                This more or less describes me, too.

I have some outdated programming knowledge, I understand the theories behind how computers work, and I've fumbled around with Linux before as well, but I have some definite blindspots.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'd say anyone who knows how to install drivers, understands what an OS is, and knows how to troubleshoot easier malfunctions is above average if you made a graph of all PC users. There's a big mass of people who just want to do their errands/enjoyment and spend a minimal amount of time with understanding the workings behind it, quite reasonable actually.
                  It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I'd say 8 for me.

I can assemble a PC easily. Troubleshooting is something I do often for everyone I know and where I work. I know a bit a C++ an GW Basic. I can build websites and such...The only thing I suck at is networking.

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
                      For full 10 person should be fluent with multiple OS's, networking, being able work with hardware without problems and have skills to code on hardware level (drivers, modifying OS for own needs etc.). I think i need to actually drop my points . I'll stick with 8 for now.
                      Having programmed my own OS (including network driver) and network stack in CS class I think I will take the first 10 .
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Gave myself a 5. Might be a tad generous, but the scale is pretty random. Old fart, no expert, can do a few things, no inclination to learn more than I need to get by... In the mid-to-late 70s I was prolly a 7 or 8.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

2 lawlz
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Question too vague.
                              Answers too self-flattering I expect.

I vote 48" pizza.

Comment

Working...
                              X