Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skeptical Scientists Urge World To ‘Have the Courage to Do Nothing' At UN Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"We now have quite a lot of evidence that carbon emissions definitely don't cause global warming.

"Warming is naturally caused and shows no human influence."

"There is no evidence that carbon dioxide increases are having any effect whatsoever on the climate,"

"All the science of the IPCC is unsound. I have come to this conclusion after a very long time.
      We don't need no 95% confidence intervals! nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
        No
        To bloody right...
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          As long as "do nothing" means rejecting consumerism then I'm all for it .
          What exactly does someone have to do to reject 'consumerism"=-- Am I allowed to get new skis?
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Jesus Joseph and Ron Jeremy in a ball.....

I am getting really angry over the global warming issue latley.

No, nothing about the impending destruction of our planet, that just makes me unhappy.

What is making me actually angry is the vast amount of lies surrounding it.

1. People with an immediate interest inclaiming there is no global warming, lying.

2. Other people who toe the line of the group above.

There was recently an article which is being widely circulated, something like "600 things global warming is blamed for", it links to a site which lists a huge number of things global warming is blamed for, the jist of it being, its impossible.

I read the first 30... all of them were completely plausible, well 25 of them were, 3 I did not understand the science behind and 2 were news articles by some small local newspaper.

What pisses me off is that the media pretends that the science of climate change is being discussed in the open, when in reality it is not. Media Establishment A "votes" for the opinion it wants, Media Company B votes another way, C, another way. None of the actually discuss the science at all, the closest they ever come is saying "A scientist said this" or "X many scientists said this, Y say this".

The issue is discussed so falsely, so disingenuously and with so many lies and manipulations while completely avoiding the actual science.

I realized every time this discussion came up in casual conversation(in real life), those saying they don’t believe in it, did not know the science behind it, at all, they just “felt” it was not real because they trusted the media sources saying it was not real, or that it was a liberal scam etc.

For the last year and a half, when I encounter these folks, I tell them the science behind it is really pretty simple and tell them if they will give me 5 minutes, i'll explain the scientific evidence and they can decide for themselves. It usually takes less then 5 minutes to give the jist of the idea. The science here is not complex but it is totaly ignored in the media.

/me smashes head into wall

It is almost enough to make me not mind that we’ll see serious climate problems in our lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

What exactly does someone have to do to reject 'consumerism"=-- Am I allowed to get new skis?
              As long as you don't consume them.

Comment

Rejecting consumerism means making a conscious effort to reduce your consumption of rescources and lessening your total pollution output.

If you are aware of all the crap you buy and make an effort to be less wasteful, you can reduce your trash, a lot.

If you have an energy efficient home, you'll need less power to heat it, saving energy.

Buy energy efficient appliances.

Buy a car with good gas milage, don't even need a hybrid, though it helps.

You don't have to go live in a commune.

Recycling, not buying wasteful products, reusing what you own and voting for politicians who suppor enviromental causes, while also supporting enviromental causes yourself, is better then nothing.

If you really want to go extreme, buy a solar panel for your house, in much of the continental U.S., it can provide a hefty chunk of your power.

Encourage others to do the above activies.

Comment

You're even more short sighted than me...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                      You're even more short sighted than me...
                      (than I)

Comment

Oh, right.

To threadjack:

If the American people were all more willing to make some fairly minimal changes to their lifestyle, it would make a huge difference.

If the first world was willing to make an effort to live a little more harmoniously with nature, there would not be a enviromental crisis right now.

Sadly, people are short sighted and greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

(than I)
                          Unless he was just trailing off and "me..." wasn't about Krill, but something that starts with those two letters. Like maybe, "meaniehead polluters"?

Comment

Consumerism is basically the belief:

"The more I consume, the happier I am"

Rejecting consumering means rejecting that notion, that "The more I consume, the happier I am"

You can substitute spend for consume, they are much the same.

So the action of rejecting consumerism, really means, getting rid of stuff or not getting more stuff, and being happier for it.

For example, stop accumulating/consuming so much junk, with the money you no longer need, work fewer hours. Spend more time enjoying what you have, spend more time doing what you want to rather than what you have to to earn money, spend more time with your family and friends.

Comment

For the last year and a half, when I encounter these folks, I tell them the science behind it is really pretty simple and tell them if they will give me 5 minutes
                              You got more than 5, go...

Comment

On the same day Al Gore received his share of the Nobel Prize for his work on climate change — one of his main arguments is being challenged by a scientific fact.

Gore has said that the northern polar ice cap could be completely gone in as little as seven years. But Brazil's MetSul Weather Center reports the ice and snow cover in the Arctic have recovered to within one percent of normal — even though the official start of winter is still more than a week away.

And it says the southern polar ice cap actually has an additional 772,000 square miles of ice now — compared to a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X