Golden Compass (movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    "Individual spirituality is kewl" is supposed to show that somebodys unbigoted, but it in fact privileges some religious POVS (usually Protestant ones, sometimes east asian ones) over others.
    No, it's supposed to show that some variants of a given religion believe that the baggage that comes with group participation is not worth the benefit. If you want to be offended by that, go for it.

If what you dont like is certain kinds of things associated with certain [...] institutions, then say so.
    I thought that's what I did?
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I actually kind of agree with LOTM about the organized religion thing. I'd also like to add that Pullman's concept of it is nonsensical. Organized religion is not necessarily autocratic, any more than organized society is intrinsically a despotism. Organization can be used for good or ill. And even when it is autocratic, that's not a real problem provided a separation of church and state is maintained. If you don't like your autocratic church, go join another, or found your own if you can do it without feeling silly.

DM, the angels did seem pretty gay, but it wasn't clear whether they had genders in the human sense, and I heard Pullman said they weren't meant to be gay. Besides, I understand the original AGD from Saturday Night Live were equally flagrant, the "ambiguity" was whether they were gay or just obliviously doing stuff that looked unbelievably homosexual. Like Amber Spyglass's unselfconscious "really good friends" with unpronounceable quasi-Hebraic names.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

No, it's supposed to show that some variants of a given religion believe that the baggage that comes with group participation is not worth the benefit. If you want to be offended by that, go for it.

I thought that's what I did?
        I wasnt referring to you in particular, but to that POV as its generally expressed, and as I take it this author expresses it.

There are Christians who prefer disorganized Christianity (variants of a particular religion) to organized? Fine, I'll let Christians argue with Christians, though Id still think that lumping everything from the global hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church in with, say, some tiny pietiest brotherhood of a few families is silly.

But wrt to Judaism and Islam at least, where the basics of the religion involve at least SOME degree of organization, its absurd. Somebody show me someone who believes in a form of Judaism or Islam that doesnt involve any form of religious community.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          I wasnt referring to you in particular, but to that POV as its generally expressed, and as I take it this author expresses it.
          His take, as I understand it, is really more of an anti-institutional message. Religion just happens to be the biggest and most ingrained institution around...Pullman has said you could just as easily swap in Soviet communism, for example. His message is that the real power of humanity is in consciousness and experience, not the obedience that is a part of most organized religions.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Worth getting on DVD?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

no
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

good, I won't buy it.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

GOLDEN COMPASS SEEKS TO DESTROY AMERICA. FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ALL YOUR PATRIOTIC FRIENDS AND FAMILY! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

oh wait

Comment

Like I said, I'm off. Take a screenshot.

Comment

bye

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                            DM, the angels did seem pretty gay, but it wasn't clear whether they had genders in the human sense, and I heard Pullman said they weren't meant to be gay. Besides, I understand the original AGD from Saturday Night Live were equally flagrant, the "ambiguity" was whether they were gay or just obliviously doing stuff that looked unbelievably homosexual. Like Amber Spyglass's unselfconscious "really good friends" with unpronounceable quasi-Hebraic names.
                            I got the allusion -- and I thought it was a good one -- I was just goofing around.
                            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

i went to see the golden compass cause a friend wanted to.
                              it sucked badly. a couple of people left in the middle. another shouted "at last!" when it ended.
                              at least i now have the right to drag my friend to a movie of my choosing
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

If Pullman's works are supposed to be masterpieces of anti-Christian polemics then I must admit watching this movie the criticism just bounced off of me, but then I'm not a Roman Catholic. Even when one considers the Roman Catholic Church, he seems to be arguing about practices that were abandoned a long time ago.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X