Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in researching geneology etc ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in researching geneology etc ...

I thought it would be a nice Christmas present for hubby to go back as far as possible and research his family history. Before his father died a few years back he said he had it done and that they were related to Mary Queen of Scotts but Steve didn't believe him. I told him that it could be possible with a last name like Buckingham ya' know. Anyway I don't know how to do something like that and don't know who is reputable or not or if anyone here has done it and had a good outcome can point me in the right direction.

It may be a bit spotty because my mother in law just never paid attention to family names etc...go figure. I looked in our local phone book to see if there was a place I could phycially go and do this but nothing. So any ideas?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Scots. I think it will take more than a couple of weeks.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A good source is churchbooks where you (maybe) can find out about weddings and births. You of course need to have an idea about where and when - otherwise it could be a bit problematic .
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tiamat , there are a gazillion sites on the web for this.

Comment

Yeah, if there has not been done any genealogic pre-work, you're definitely much too late for this christmas...
          First, gather the information you have easy access to by oral tradition - just ask your relatives. If you can get far enough to make a connection with a higher aristocratic family, things tend to become easier because of probable family archives. If not, churchbooks (wedding records, birth records, death books) are your only hope. And that's a tough work, since especially in the US, population was very mobile, so it would require a good number of trips to get from generation to generation - IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Because it's quite probable that some link got burned in a fire or got lost by a lousy alcoholic priest - end of the road.
          Good luck.
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I'm downloading Family Tree Maker 2008 now. I'll let you know how it goes.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Cool! Thanks, his birthday is in February so if I can't make it by christmas I still have that. Besides I just found the coolest Christmas present for him An offical Star Wars pop up book!
              Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
              Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
              Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
              You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
              X