Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices Plummet

At one station anyway.

MINOCQUA, Wis. - Dozens of drivers made a mad rush for cheap gas after a station employee accidentally changed the price to 33 cents a gallon.

An employee closing Trig's Minocqua Shell for the night meant to drop the price of gas by one cent, but mistakenly dropped a nine from the $3.299 a gallon in the computer, making the price of gas .329 cents Monday night.

He left about 10 p.m., but drivers could still use their credit cards to buy gas.

Word of the bargain spread fast in the rural northern Wisconsin community, with 42 people buying 586 gallons of gas in an hour and 45 minutes. One person had pumped 27 gallons and two purchased 18 gallons.

Local police saw the horde at the station and called store manager Andrea Reuland, who went to the station and pushed the emergency stop.

"There were cars two deep at each of my pumps," said Reuland, who knew many of the drivers and told them they were being dishonest - the main store sign had the correct price.

"I was very upset that there's that many dishonest people," she said. "They knew there was a problem, and they took advantage of an employee's mistake and I think that's terrible."

The employee, who has been there for about six months, had changed the gas prices 25 times in the past six months.

"It was an honest mistake," Reuland said. "I could have done it."

Area residents were still talking about it Friday morning.

"Was it you guys?" a woman in the station asked Reuland. "Why do I always miss the good stuff?"

Would you have done some midnight shopping?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

i would have put down spike strips and sold tires
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm glad I gassed up before the trip. When we get home I have a full tank!

I'd like to think I would not have gone and gotten gas.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
        i would have put down spike strips and sold tires

Comment

Re: Gas Prices Plummet

Originally posted by Wezil
          Most likely not. Most stations are owned by the operator, even with big chains.

If I thought it was the multinational paying for it, I'd fill a tanker in a heartbeat.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

An employee closing Trig's Minocqua Shell for the night meant to drop the price of gas by one cent, but mistakenly dropped a nine from the $3.299 a gallon in the computer, making the price of gas .329 cents Monday night.

Software without basic failsafes.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Gas Prices Plummet

Originally posted by Wezil
              No. It might be taking food off the table of the local owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Software without basic failsafes.
                Serves the bastards right. Hire a human to look after the place and you won't have to hope the tech is doing it right.

Cheap business owners.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X