Zimbabwe currency not even worth paper it is printed on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbabwe currency not even worth paper it is printed on

This is something many of us already know. Zimbabwe is suffering roughly 60,000% inflation, the article says 8000%, that is the Zimbabwean goverment's estimate, real economists place it at 60,000%.

Anyway......

Man arrested for using bank notes as business cards

HARARE (Reuters) - A professional hunter has been arrested on suspicion he turned Zimbabwean bank notes into business cards and handed them out at a tourism fair.

Zimbabwe is struggling with the world's highest inflation rate of about 8,000 percent because of an economic crisis and it is hard to buy anything with its smaller denomination "bearer cheque" bank notes.

Harare police said on Thursday they had arrested Denis Paul, a 41-year-old professional hunter and lodge owner from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe's second largest city, on charges of defacing bank notes. He faces a fine or up to a year in prison.

Paul was not immediately available for comment.

The state-controlled Herald newspaper quoted him as saying he stamped his business details on 100 10-cent bearer cheques for distribution at the World Tourism Market fair in London last month because he had left without his usual business cards.

The Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA) alleges he distributed more than 10,000 stamped notes, the Herald said.

"The ZTA alleges that Paul had discouraged foreign tour operators from coming to Zimbabwe while claiming that the country's currency was so useless that it was only fit to be used as business cards," it said.

Paul told the daily he had gone to London to promote his tourism business and used bearer cheques he believed to have expired. "It was not my intention to demonise the country and I gave them (the cards) only to people I knew," he said.

President Robert Mugabe's government lopped off three zeroes from the local currency in July 2006 in its fight against inflation. Zimbabweans still find themselves having to carry huge wads of cash for basic transactions.

(Reporting by Cris Chinaka; Editing by Robert Woodward)
    I don't see why they are so upset, wouldn't they be happy to see their currency used at all?

There are still tourists going to Zimbabwe?

I assume only black people or white suicide candidates
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I hate forum rules

Comment

Zimbabwe currency not even worth paper it is printed on
        Y'ha! My fortune is made! I convert my life savings into Zimbabwe currency. Then I sell the Zimbabwe currency to a paper re-cycler, who pays me for the value of the paper. Suddenly, I'm fabulously wealthy!!

Comment

So I guess you would need a truck instead of a wallet. Supermarket queues must be hell.
          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
            So I guess you would need a truck instead of a wallet. Supermarket queues must be hell.
            I bet the lines are really short actually. With 80% unemployment whenever there starts to be a wait to buy the groceries they can just round up people off of the street to station new checkout aisles built from bales of the money collected earlier in the day. At the end of the day you put them back out on the street and let them keep their checkout aisle as their earning for the day.

Comment

Working...
            X