Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Ireland have been better off remaining as part of the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know Ierland is quite well devloped.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
      As far as I know Ierland is quite well devloped.
      The relevant date:

The only place I ever visited that resembled Ireland in the 70s was Franco's Spain
      Ireland had yet to experience the social revolution of the 80s, the exposures of Church misdeeds and hypocrisies, the revelations about orchestrated child abuse and subsequent Church and government cover-ups, child neglect in Catholic orphanages and the corruption scandals surrounding people like Charles Haughey (not to mention the gun running claims).
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        Maybe there would be less EU funding, but that is debatable on whether they would a) not get the funds and b) the funds made all the difference. Spain and Portugal got shedloads of money and aren't showing the gains Ireland got.
        Spain has just passed Italy in GDP pre capita IMHO Spain has used efficiently the funds, it is just that Spain had some severe disavantages. Just compare Spain with Portugal, Greece and Italy, which were very similar countries to see the progress (specially Portugal).

I wish Portugal would have fared better
        Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav

Spain has just passed Italy in GDP pre capita
          That's great, but Ireland is only beaten by Luxembourg in GDP per capita.

It wasn't a disparaging comment of Spain, but more a comment that there is more to Ireland's success than throwing money at the situation.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Now what would Spain be without Germany, on whose tit she has been hangin ever since she joined the EU?!

Comment

Well, I dunno, but I'm thinking the civil war might've gone differently...

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
              X