Designer Bugs FTW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designer Bugs FTW!

Find all the latest news on the environment and climate change from the Telegraph. Including daily emissions and pollution data.

Mankind needs to make artificial life to survive

Craig Venter makes the case for using synthetic organisms to deal with climate change, reports Roger Highfield

The future of life on Earth depends on creating synthetic organisms to cut greenhouse gases, according to the leading American scientist who is poised to create the world's first man-made species.

Craig Venter, who made headlines around the world when he cracked the human genetic code, or genome, in 2000, wants to create designer bugs to manufacture hydrogen and biofuels, as well as to absorb carbon dioxide and other harmful greenhouse gases.

Dr Venter will argue that the most urgent problems facing our planet could solved by the creation of new artificial life such as novel bio-fuel producing organisms to replace oil and coal - in the 32nd Richard Dimbleby Lecture, tonight on BBC1.

"The future of life on this planet lies, not only in our ability to understand and use the molecules of life, but also, perhaps in creating new artificial life. That is, life forged not by Darwinian evolution, but created by human intelligence.'

His J Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, Maryland, recently applied for worldwide patents on what it refers to as "Mycoplasma laboratorium" based on synthetic DNA assembled by scientists, and he believes that the current measures to curb climate change are too limited and failing to exploit the opportunities presented by the ability to customise microorganisms.

He argues that "our planet is facing almost insurmountable problems, problems that governments on their own can't fix" and believes the solutions lie in the new and rapidly growing field of genomics - the study of the complete genetic make-up of a species, as written in the language of DNA.

"We have been working on the ability to go from reading the genetic code to learning how to write it".

In his lecture Dr Venter will describe the work his team is doing to create renewable and 'green' sources of fuel. For the UK he envisions "thousands of bio-refineries distributed around the country" creating clean fuel from silos filled with artificially created bacteria.

Artificial life created through the science of synthetic genomics could be harnessed to create much more besides. "Plastics, carpets, clothing, medicines and motor oil - all of these things can be created by biological organisms".

It may seem like the stuff of science fiction, but with Dr Venter's track record of achieving feats that his rivals condemned as lunatic or impossible, his vision may very well become a reality.

Currently one of only two people in the world to have gazed on his entire DNA code, Dr Venter believes that this feat will be commonplace within five years. By identifying potential illness early, as he has been able to do himself, Venter believes it will save billions on health care costs.

Dr Venter joins a prestigious list of Dimbleby lecture speakers from the realms of politics, business, science and the arts, ranging from former United States President Bill Clinton, to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Stella Rimington, the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams and, last year, the former head of the British Army, General Sir Mike Jackson.

Craig Venter, who made headlines around the world when he cracked the human genetic code, or genome, in 2000, wants to create designer bugs to manufacture hydrogen and biofuels, as well as to absorb carbon dioxide and other harmful greenhouse gases.
    Hm, if I remember there is already a number of species that absorb CO2. If I rememmber correctly humans call them "plants"

It is a good way to get rid of all those pesky humans on earth btw.

Killed by their own created bacteriae (made for eating CO2), which included just the little bug that, it developed a taste for the carbon in human bodies as well
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I'm designing bugs all day. I had no idea I'm saving the mankind with it, but it's a nice thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
        Hm, if I remember there is already a number of species that absorb CO2. If I rememmber correctly humans call them "plants"
        Quick, get Dr Venter on the phone! He obviously never thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

It is a good way to get rid of all those pesky humans on earth btw.

Killed by their own created bacteriae (made for eating CO2), which included just the little bug that, it developed a taste for the carbon in human bodies as well
          Combining these two insights one realizes that the true imminent threat to humanity is the inevitable evolution of man eating plants pursuing an insatiable appetite for the carbon in human bodies.

Why has nobody recognized this threat before?

Comment

Earth becoming a bug planet
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Combining these two insights one realizes that the true imminent threat to humanity is the inevitable evolution of man eating plants pursuing an insatiable appetite for the carbon in human bodies.

Why has nobody recognized this threat before?
              OMG! The Triffids are coming! The Triffids are coming!
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Let's hope they remember to design some saucy lady bugs while they're at it.

Comment

This is science journalism, guys. You're probably better educated if you ignore it.

Comment

It's a report of a lecture.

For something not-in-a-newspaper, there is :

then again, that's only Wiki.

Perhaps this is what you're after:

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                      I'm designing bugs all day. I had no idea I'm saving the mankind with it, but it's a nice thought.
                      I work in programming, so same here ...
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I prefer Designer Jugs.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                        X