In [censored] We Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In [censored] We Trust

Pledge of Allegiance, `In God We Trust' cases to be heard in S.F.
    By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

An atheist seeking to remove the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance and U.S. currency is taking his arguments back to a federal appeals court.

Michael Newdow, a Sacramento doctor and lawyer, sued the Elk Grove Unified School District in 2000 for forcing public school children to recite the pledge, saying it was unconstitutional.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in Newdow's favor in 2002, but two years later, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Newdow lacked standing to sue because he didn't have custody of the daughter on whose behalf he brought the case. He immediately filed a second lawsuit on behalf of three unidentified parents and their children.

In 2005, a federal judge in Sacramento found in favor of Newdow, ruling the pledge was unconstitutional because its reference to "one nation under God" violates children's rights to be "free from a coercive requirement to affirm God." The judge said he was following the precedent set by the 9th Circuit Court's ruling in Newdow's first case.

A three-judge panel from that court was to hear arguments in the case on Tuesday. The same panel also was to hear arguments in Newdow's case against the national motto, "In God We Trust."

In 2005, Newdow sued Congress and several federal officials, arguing that making money with the motto on it violated the First Amendment clause requiring the separation of church and state.

Last year, a federal judge in Sacramento disagreed, saying the words did not violate Newdow's atheism. Newdow appealed.

Congress first authorized a reference to God on a two-cent piece in 1864. In 1955, the year after lawmakers added the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance, Congress passed a law requiring all U.S. currency to carry the motto "In God We Trust."
    In a related story, the U.S. Supreme Court has declined to hear a case in which the 9th Circuit ruled that L.A. County's removal of the Latin Cross in the face of a threatened lawsuit by the ACLU was not an unconstitutional attack on Christianity.

someone mentioned about the in god we trust on money in the athiest prez thread, and I got to thinking how silly it is to have that on money.

Are we trusting god to hold the value of the dollar? If so, he isn't doing a very good job. God is no economist.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      Are we trusting god to hold the value of the dollar? If so, he isn't doing a very good job.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Dis, you should know better, that God is really looking after the Euro, so you know... actually doing a pretty good job
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yeah, god seems to be a bit hesitant to help - that Atlanta mass prayer for rainstorms didn't help either.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Prayers are useless. God has his plan. Don't mess with perfection.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

WhoTF is Perfection?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

ooh, good one.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Old grumpy Luci's brother.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

It's ridiculous to have the phrase on our money or the pledge.

Comment

Possible Alternatives would be:

"In Bush we trust" (replaced by the name of the next Prez after the elections )

"In lots of money we trust"

"In nuclear deterrence we trust"

or

"In free availability of guns we trust"
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                        Are we trusting god to hold the value of the dollar? If so, he isn't doing a very good job. God is no economist.
                        Either that or he has forsaken your country..............

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

but I don't think this God thing is that wrong. I mean... I don't mind. If it says in God we trust, why change it? It shouldn't be too offensive for people who don't believe in God or whatever, it's more traditional and so what if it says in God we trust. If someone says well I don't believe in God... so what? If it bothers you that much, use credit cards. To some people it might mean a lot but to those who are not into God, I mean for them it's just words, so why would it be that bad if it's just words......... Nah, just keep it as it is.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I can't get all that worked up about "In God We Trust" or the "under God" in the pledge, or the pledge itself, for that matter, though in a perfect world I'd do away with them all.

It's not a battle worth fighting, IMO.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              I can't get all that worked up about "In God We Trust" or the "under God" in the pledge, or the pledge itself, for that matter, though in a perfect world I'd do away with them all.

It's not a battle worth fighting, IMO.

-Arrian
                              Agreed.

Although if guns are available freely, I want my free guns now!
                              "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Working...
                              X