No announcement yet.

Iran has no nuke program, U.S. intel says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's interesting that they stopped the program as our tanks were rolling over Iraq. Could be a lesson in there somewhere.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

NBC News had a nearly incoherent report of this story tonight. One talking head lamenting this would make it harder to get sanctions imposed against Iran. --Wasn't the whole point of sanctions to get Iran to give up their nuclear weapons program.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        NBC News had a nearly incoherent report of this story tonight. One talking head lamenting this would make it harder to get sanctions imposed against Iran. --Wasn't the whole point of sanctions to get Iran to give up their nuclear weapons program.
        The whole point is to have another boogey-man in a never-ending line of boogey-men so that we can keep our sweet sweet oi...er national interests safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          The sad thing is, that since no one has access to the full text, everyone will be able to put what ever spin they want on this.
          Yesterday the NYTimes had the NIE report available in PDF. Go look it up.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Or scan thru it here.
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

Yesterday the NYTimes had the NIE report available in PDF. Go look it up.

interesting enough

Comment

well this does not at all say that Iran has no nuke program.

It says that Iran has a secret military nuke program which they keep dormant since 2003, due to a sincere fear of repercussion from the international community and the US.

There is no information to suggest Iran gave up on the program or is it just waiting for a better time to secretly continue it.

There are no evidence from 2007 that they restarted the thing. They continue, however, to advance in civil/dual use aspects of the program as much as they can. They are facing some technical problems.

The Iranian govt. traditionally has alot going on this project since 1980s, and convincing them to disband this would be very difficult and will include lots of carrots (however it is not impossible as we once thought).

If the Iranian govt. were to continue the program, they could produce enough highly enriched uranium as early as 2009 and as late as 2015.

That does not account for a possibility of getting outside technical assistance or already working parts.

---

All in all it changes little.

And if anything, it only increases the need for international pressure and sanctions (which the report says are working), because it's not hopeless and a confrontation is very much avoidable.

Comment

DinoDoc is hilarious. He's like a southpark caracter.

lol LOL

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I can't believe the hypocrisy of an Israeli person of all people complaining about the possibility of Iran secretly trying to get nukes...

How many countries has the Iranian military brazenly attacked in the same manner as the Israelis for example. Over any period: Last 5 years, last 10, last 25, last 50?

Any?

Given Israel's aggressive tendencies - including threatening to attack Iran, might we not think that it is the Israelis who would be more likely to actually use nukes?

BTW Siro, have you guys finished persecuting poor old Mordechai Vanunu yet?
                    Last edited by MOBIUS; December 4, 2007, 09:48.
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Israel isn't a nation of saints but I haven't seen anything to suggest they'd support nuking anyone. Can't say that for Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                        How many countries has the Iranian military brazenly attacked...
                        I was under the impression that Iran uses terror groups like Hamas and armed insurgents instead of their own military personnel.

To be honest, all these conflicting "intelligence" reports year after year have proven one thing to me...intelligence agencies suck at gathering intelligence!
                        Last edited by uberloz; December 4, 2007, 10:03.
                        ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

I can't believe the hypocrisy of an Israeli person of all people complaining about the possibility of Iran secretly trying to get nukes...

How many countries has the Iranian military brazenly attacked in the same manner as the Israelis for example. Over any period: Last 5 years, last 10, last 25, last 50?

Any?

Given Israel's aggressive tendencies - including threatening to attack Iran, might we not think that it is the Israelis who would be more likely to actually use nukes?

BTW Siro, have you guys finished persecuting poor old Mordechai Vanunu yet?
                          QFT!

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Did you know that all Iranian persons want Israel to be wiped off the map?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              Holy smoke! Is that from a NY Times poll?
                              ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

All?

Would you be generalizing by any chance?

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X