Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adverse Possession: Emininent domain's evil twin brother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eminininininent
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If one neighbour had gone over to the other neighbour's house in the 25 years that they had been living next to each other and at least introduced themselves, then maybe things would have turned out differently.

Comment

Uh... no. This is an archetypal adverse possession case. Not sure why the judge didn't create an easement, but we don't have all the facts either. I doubt it'll get overturned on appeal. Hell, even if the higher court rules an easement is better, they still can't build the fence over the path.
        If this is correct according to the letter of the law, the law is ****ed up and needs changing.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

If this is correct according to the letter of the law, the law is ****ed up and needs changing.

-Arrian
          There are good reasons for the law, IIUC. In rural areas, and even in some metropolitan areas, not every property has direct access to a public road. Normally this works out fine, cause folks let others cross their property. In some cases letting the buyer of an away from the road lot cross their on the road lot. The right to cross makes sense. In many cases the right to cross was granted with no paperwork, or explicit permission. If easements werent granted based on adverse possession, property owners could abuse the informality and blockade their neighbors, making the neighbors property essentially worthless (take that, property rights) and THEY could point to the letter of the law. Either way, there are possibilities of abuse by using the letter of the law. Now maybe there are modifications that should be made (IANAL, but I am surprised that the adverse possession would give ownership rather than an easement, and that it wouldnt be reduced to an easement on appeal) but they should be done carefully, to avoid creating greater problems.

BTW, my experience with easements is in the area of transportation. Railroads in large parts of the USA were built not on land the RR bought, but on land that the state took by eminent domain (cause otherwise a property owner might blackmail a 100 mile RR stretch with his tiny parcel of farmland). These were transportation easements only - which means that in the late 20th c, when RRs were abandoning their short lines, the land that was on easements reverted (for the first time in over 100 years, usually) to the owner. Economic analysts looking do business cases on abandonments had to check with Real Estate depts to determine how much land was actually owned by the RR, vs how much of the route lay on easements. Note also that (IIUC) one of the reasons for converting abandoned RRs to bike/pedestrian trails, is that because thats a transportation use, it retains the land for a possible future transit line, land which would otherwise revert to the owners.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I didn't say the law should be scrapped. I said changed.

There's a lot of wiggle room in "changed," LotM.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is adverse possession even based on statute?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Is adverse possession even based on statute?
                even if its based on the common law, it could still be changed by statute.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                  I wonder if we can go use federal land without being noticed for a few years and then claim ownership.
                  I think that is homesteading.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                    Wow, according to this BS we could lose our land to our neighbors because we've been letting them keep a couple horses on our property.

The court is giving trespassers the land they've been trespassing on

I wonder if we can go use federal land without being noticed for a few years and then claim ownership.
                    The answers are no & no.

If you've given permission to your neighbors, then their use of you land is permissive, and adverse possession does not apply. It's only when they are using your land without permission and you do nothing, that the law kicks in.

You can't take governmental property by adverse possession. Think about it. Who writes the laws?

Comment

So because I try to handle the situation by talking, instead of taking my neighbor to court, he gets to take my land?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Asked and answered already.

No.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          even if its based on the common law, it could still be changed by statute.
                          And it's based on both. It comes from the common law, but has been put into statute in just about every state, IIRC.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                          X