New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer

I'm shopping for a new computer. Flat screen monitor also. It's been awhile since I've done this, and am quite behind in the current technology. So I appeal to youse guys, what would you look for in a new comp? Specs, entertainment capablilties, performance, etc.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

If I were to buy a new comp today I would buy a HTPC
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Re: New Computer

Originally posted by Theben
      I'm shopping for a new computer...
      Me too (at least I'm in the thinking about it stage).

The equipment I have now won't handle the 3-D gaming that's becoming more popular. F'zample: While I can play Thief 1 & 2, I can't play Thief 3, or EVE or Second Life. In the past few years, war games have been featuring hundreds maybe thousands of little soldier guys fighting each other. I haven't bought one but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't work either.

What kinds of video card should I be considering?
      What about amount of ram?
      Computer speed?

Comment

If moneys not a pressing problem as a rule of thumb go for the "second best" since the top stuff is too pricey by far. Going down a notch saves hundreds of $ with almost no loss in performance.

Comment

The XFX GeForce 8800 GT is getting rave reviews from PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209816,00.asp

Comment

I would PM Aeson.

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

The XFX GeForce 8800 GT is getting rave reviews from PC Magazine
              I just bought that yesterday, and ther rest of my comp componets today.

My computer development thread:

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: New Computer

I'm shopping for a new computer. Flat screen monitor also. It's been awhile since I've done this, and am quite behind in the current technology. So I appeal to youse guys, what would you look for in a new comp? Specs, entertainment capablilties, performance, etc.
                For teh Commies
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Theben, don't fall for it. Lonestar's engaging in a disinformation campaign!

Comment

So what else is new? Plus it must at least be able to play civ4.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

It's easier if you give us an estimate of how much you're willing to spend

Comment

So what else is new? Plus it must at least be able to play civ4.
                        Everything and it's grandma can play Civ4, as long as it doesn't have Intel graphics.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Maybe time to worry about whether it'll be able to play Civ 5...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                            The XFX GeForce 8800 GT is getting rave reviews from PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209816,00.asp
                            This one looks nice. I think it's a good one

Comment

would you like to play a game?

Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X