No announcement yet.

Americans, enjoy your internet freedom. It may not last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But in another story, an Uzbeki/Russian Gazprom tycoon looking to take over a top English club was getting negative stories about his character and conduct reported by the former UK Ambassador, Craig Murray.

Blogs reporting these allegations had their ISPs threatened and some where closed down because the ISP didn't want the hassle. There was collateral damage too, when the website of a Tory MP unconnected with the Uzbek story was zapped because it was hosted by someone who was also hosting a blog of someone repeating the allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
      Well, British libel laws are worrying anyways.
      Yep.

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Comment

Is it a "chilling effect" or is it encouraging responsible reporting? Just b/c you are "blog" doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you want.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well, in the Murray case he challenged Usmanov (the Uzbek) to sue him, so confident was he in his facts. Usmanov declined, preferring instead to use his substantial power to shut down media outlets running unfavourable stories.

If teh putin does that, no-one here starts talking about "encouraging responsible reporting".

Comment

CH - Obviously I don't know the particular details of the case you mention but I hear what you are saying. My only real point in the thread was that blame needs to be directed at the right target. The strictness or looseness of any particular country's libel laws is a whole other issue.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If I walked up to a stranger in the street and said that, I could be guilty of a whole host of crimes, or civilly(lawsuits for money) liable.

Where exactly in the US do you live where you think you could be guilty of something for saying the statement in the OP?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, and you will, I have no doubt, but I've always been under the impression that saying "I'm going to kick your ass" is assault, the actual kicking being battery.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, and you will, I have no doubt, but I've always been under the impression that saying "I'm going to kick your ass" is assault, the actual kicking being battery.
                  Not unless you have a reasonable apprehension of being battered. It has to be an attempt at violent behavior. Just saying, "I'm going to kick your ass" won't do it. Swinging at the guy, would, however.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

If a guy gets in your face screaming, it doesn't take a mind reader. BUT, you still don't swing that first blow. Got to take that first one, then...payback.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

A guy getting in your face is a bit different than saying "I'm going to kick your ass", isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        A guy getting in your face is a bit different than saying "I'm going to kick your ass", isn't it?
                        Yeah, making threatening statements WHILE also taking physical actions meant to intimidate are different from statements alone.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

He still hasn't done anything but say the same words.

Comment

The criminality of words is based on their context, not just the phrase.

Yelling FIRE! in an empty house is not the same as yelling FIRE! in a crowded room. The statements are the same, but the context is not.

Some statements in any context can be taken as threatening. Some others can only be threatening in context. If a guy has a lead pipe and is holding it in his hands, and says "you want some?" is a very diifferent thing from some guy holding an apple and saying "you want some?"
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              The criminality of words is based on their context, not just the phrase.
                              Yep.

Comment

Working...
                              X