Any Sikhs on this site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    You said "Monsoon Wedding (but with Hindus)" and I corrected you to say Sikhs instead of Hindus. They are two different religions.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I never saw monsoon wedding.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm white not Indian. I think I'll wear a suit and tie.
        Actually, white Sikhs do exist which is surprising considering the near absence of any sort of Sikh missionary service aimed at converting people.

Comment

I never saw monsoon wedding.

That's a bizarre thing to say regardless of whether or not you've seen Monsoon Wedding...
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Re: Any Sikhs on this site?

So I'm going to a Sikh wedding and I'm wondering what to expect. Anyone know what all of this means?

Sehora Bandi 9:00am
            Barat 10:00am
            Anand Karaj (Actual wedding, I think)
            Lunch 1:00pm
            Doli 3:00pm

OK, lunch and the actual wedding are clear enough but what's that other stuff? Are some just for family or is everyone expected to attend all functions? I'm unsure of the traditions and expectations so any help would be appreciated.

Also the reception is the next day in L.A. so I'm going to have to travel from San Diego to Sacramento then down to L.A. the next day then back to San Diego. It should be a busy weekend full of flying. Is there anything I should know about the reception? Is it like a western reception or are Sikh receptions different?

I've been to a couple. Most of those seem to involve being fed and plied with tea. Then there's the wedding stuff and speeches. Then there's the lengthiest section which involves drinking a lot of bacardi and scotch and dancing around to bhangra while waving your arms in the air before falling over. It's a sacred rite.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I think I'm up to the challenge. Especially the drinking to much and falling over part.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Do Sikh brides have hairy legs? You know they can't shave them.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                  My mom is Sikh but I know very little about the religion. Make sure to wear a Turban, grow out your beard, and bring a Kirpan (ceremonial religious sword) in order to slay your enemies.
                  There's only one of me, and I'm not going let alone on top of his head.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                  X