Rise of the Videogame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of the Videogame

Awesome new documentary series on Discovery Channel. I watched the first episode last week and it was great!

The video game revolution has been under way for decades, progressing from simple amusements created in the 1950s to an all-pervasive force in today's popular culture that rivals — and will perhaps soon surpass — film and television. What began as a subculture pastime has evolved and transcended genres to become a unique form of expression impacting everything from modern warfare to interpersonal relationships.

Rise of the Video Game is a comprehensive and progressive exploration of the past, present and future of video games and video gamers. From the early days of Pong to today's ever-popular Halo 2, and from Atari 2600 to Nintendo to PlayStation, Rise of the Video Game tells the story of the people, the ideologies and the technology behind video games and how they have exploded into a cultural phenomenon. The evolution of gaming has seen the pendulum move from the days of games replicating society, to society replicating games. Featuring interviews with giants in the gaming industry of yesterday and today, this five-part series examines the evolution of the video game and its cultural impact on the world of entertainment today.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Sounds cool.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The first episode was comprehensive and informative. The second spent its first half talking about the invention of Mario, Zelda and Sonic and the entire second half talking about GTA. Plus they called Sonic an antihero for some asshat reason. Here's hoping parts 3-5 fill in the many gaps in history...
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

After watching the first part, I was left with the feeling that we radically altered the development of Japanese culture when we nuked them.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That is another good reason to nuke Iran.

Comment

Because your pr0n collection just isn't strange enough yet?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"Oh, I'm a naughty, naughty girl, stone me and call me a whore..."
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                The first episode was comprehensive and informative. The second spent its first half talking about the invention of Mario, Zelda and Sonic and the entire second half talking about GTA. Plus they called Sonic an antihero for some asshat reason. Here's hoping parts 3-5 fill in the many gaps in history...
                yeah I missed the first part. oh well.

I don't care for the "console revolution". Unless they talk about PC games, not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                  That is another good reason to nuke Iran.
                  perhaps the first time I agree with wiglaf.

Comment

Working...
                  X